Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a good running 1968 302 in my car. I would like to find another engine to build and store the original #s matching engine. My question is: What year 351W's should I be looking for if I want to use all my current brackets, pulleys, and C4 transmission?

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
A 69 or 70 351 Windsor would be the ticket, as the later heads result in a lower compression ratio from what I understand but should drop right in and your goodies should bolt up.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
A 351W is taller and wider. A bigger "V" if you will. Every thing that bolts to the heads AND the timing cover area is a bit longer for that. On the passenger side all you need is a 1969 or 1970 and up little bracket that goes on the head and then all you alternator stuff will bolt on.
If that;s all you have then you're good. But if you've got power steering and/or AC then it gets tricky. The solution most people use is 1969-70 351W type brackets.
The back of the engine is no problem. Starter, transmission, and all are good. The intake and distributor are 351W specific, as is the oil pan. Most other stuff bolts right on.

The exhaust can be tricky. You can use your existing manifolds but new pipes to them. Their outlets will be about and inch and a half higher than they were.
Headers.....they sell "conversion" headers to fit a 351W into cars that never came with that engine. My '67 I had a 302 with "289" headers on it. Swapped to a 351W and decided I had nothing to lose if I tried to see if the headers would fit. They did and they still do. Got at a swap meet, I've no idea who made them. On the other hand, there are people who bought the exact correct header to fit their car and engine combination and they wouldn't fit at all. Kind of a dice roll I guess.

Almost forgot, throttle linkage, because of the engine being taller.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
the earliest blocks 69-70 have the shortest deck height at 9.38". from 71 on to about 91 i think, the deck height was 9.5", and after that the deck height was 9.503(?) of there about. all 351ws will handle about the same amount of power, and they all can handle any of the stroker kits deigned for the 351w without issue, though the longere stroke kits(above 4") need clearanceing in teh pan rail and cylinder bottoms to clear the rod big ends, and some others may need the clearanceing as well with some aftermarket rods with thicker big ends.

as for the accessory mounts, most of the 302 mounts should do well, though expect some alignment and clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Ford designers were on CRACK during this time, and got paid to make sure nothing fit from year to year / engine to engine.

current brackets: Some work, some don't, The spacing is different on 351W, and is also affected by the deck height. For example the lateral bracket

does not fit a 1968 but fits a 1969 and a 1970, but not a 1971+. The compressor base bracket for a 1967 1968 (289 302) does not fit a 1969, and the 1970 is different from the 1969, and the 1971 is different again.

pulleys: the 68 crank is a 3 hole lipped pulley, the 1969 is a 3 hole non lipped unit, and the 1970 and up is a 4 hole no lipped pulley. Water pump pulleys change every year and different based on AC, no AC, alternator amps, etc.

On power steering, also the belt width changes.

C4 transmission: OK

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
if you're lucky, you may run across a '69 Mexican block.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
@Mustangerbob1 hahaha !! I don't think Crack was around in 69 but there sure was a bunch of other stuff that made people flip their switch ! I think that's where shag carpet and some of the color combos came from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts