Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flip open gas cap that has a C7 part number on the lid and a C9 part number on the base and both have AUTOLITE on them. Whats up with this.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Is your car a '67? I would have to guess someone replaced the base at some point. Since they used the flip open gas cap for several years you probably got one of those. The base and flip part are two separate part numbers, IIRC.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
No, the flip part of the cap was the same, 67-70. The base changed, as the contour of the taillight panel changed, and there were about 4 different emblems, but the only unique flip cap was the 69 GT, which had a gear-tooth motif, while the 67-70 had a smooth groove. The 67-68 Shelby had the Mustang cap, but instead of the Mustang emblem, it had a disc medallion.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Dang, I read it backwards. But it does sound like someone combined parts, wouldn't you say?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking at gas caps in a mustang catalog and I must have one for a 69 Mach 1 with a 67 cap on it.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
I'm looking at gas caps in a mustang catalog and I must have one for a 69 Mach 1 with a 67 cap on it.
Yeah, a 69 would be a 69 base and 67 cap. The 69-70 mach1 had the same emblem as the non-GT 67. It's Ford who combined the parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts