Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '69 didn't fare too well during the hurricane a couple years ago (ya, its been sitting in the garage -- please form a line behind my wife to tell me to get off my lazy butt and start working on it).

I will need to replace everything electrical and was looking at alternatives to the stock headlights. If I understand, the size of the '69 lights is different than the rest of the '64-'70 family. Is this true? (I think I heard 5" for the '69 and 7" for everyone else. I haven't actually measured my '69's yet. Hope to do that this weekend.)

Anyway, part two to the question is, has anyone used these headlamps in their car? If so, how easy were they to modify and install? I would love to ditch the sealed beams that I have and go with something easier to replace and much brighter (even with the best lamps I could find, they were dangerously dim at night).

Has anyone used anything other than the stock-style lights? If so, what brand, where did you get them and (most importantly) do you like them?

Many thanks,
MustangChuck

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm useing something simular but in 7". I didn't have to modify mine, but have seen some that needed the back of the headlight bucket trimmed out a little. You also want to look into wireing some relays to get full battery voltage to the headlights. There has been several topics covering this, just search for headlight relays.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Sylvania Automotive Website lists different Lamps - but that could just be due to the single Hi/Low & the Dual Hi/Low Combos

1970 FORD Mustang

H6024 High & low beam headlamp
H6024ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H6024XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H6024CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

1969 FORD Mustang

Low beam headlamp
H5006

High beam headlamp
H5001

So, I dont know if they are different sizes or not.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The 69's use 5 3/4" headlights in all four places if I remember correctly. Reenmachine offers a complete kit. Painless wiring I think offers a harness and you can purchase Hella H4 lights off of E-bay.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HTRDCowboy said:
You also want to look into wireing some relays to get full battery voltage to the headlights. There has been several topics covering this, just search for headlight relays.
I've read a few places that describe rewiring the headlight setup. MustangSteve has a pretty good write up, if I recall.

Thanks all for the info on alternative lights.

MustangChuck

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grabber70Mach said:
The 69's use 5 3/4" headlights in all four places if I remember correctly. Reenmachine offers a complete kit. Painless wiring I think offers a harness and you can purchase Hella H4 lights off of E-bay.
Is this the same type of connector/bulb that is used in the SN95 Mustangs?

Thanks,
MustangChuck

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
70_Fastback said:
Sylvania Automotive Website lists different Lamps - but that could just be due to the single Hi/Low & the Dual Hi/Low Combos

1970 FORD Mustang

H6024 High & low beam headlamp
H6024ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H6024XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H6024CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

1969 FORD Mustang

Low beam headlamp
H5006

High beam headlamp
H5001

So, I dont know if they are different sizes or not.
Yes, the '69 headlights are smaller than all the other. The difference between the high beams and low beams on the '69's is the number of pins on the back. The high beams only have 2 pins, and the low beams have 3. The connectors for the low beams are identical to the rest of the vintage Mustangs. The high beam connectors are slightly different, because of only 2 pins on the light.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MustangChuck said:
Is this the same type of connector/bulb that is used in the SN95 Mustangs?
Grabber70Mach said:
I would think that it isn't, a least from the pictures it appears to be like the connectors on the vintage mustangs.
Well, I now have an answer to this. The answer is "No, the H4 bulbs are not the same as the SN95". The SN95 uses 9007 headlight bulbs. The H4 bulbs are also known as 9003.

Here is a good image of the different types of bulb connectors:

http://www.intakeone.com/images/Light_bulbs/lightbulbs_index.gif

There are a few places you can get H4 wiring harnesses. They seem to range from $20 - $30 per pair. They are "upgrade" harnesses which plug into the factory harness, but if you snip off the end you don't need, you can wire it into your existing harness.

Hope this helps.
MustangChuck

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New info. I just got off the phone with Wysco about their 5" headlights. They are really 5.75", matching the '69's four headlights. Jegs simply lists them as 5". Their technical staff didn't know either, but were willing to try to find out.

Just adding information to the fire.

MustangChuck

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
has anyone actually done this yet?

how did it go?

nate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts