Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,here's the deal. I have been driving the stang on a more regular schedule lately, and I have found that the car pulls hard to the left recently while I brake. What causes this, and is there anything I can do or does it have to go to a mechanic. Also the 4 wheel manual drums like to lock up when they are hit hard. Ideally what I want to do is swap in a 5 lug power disc setup for the front. Is this relatively simple and inexpensive to do for a first timer? (key word: inexpensive) Second, I had to stop short today on my way to work, and since the brakes pull and lock I ended up almost sideways on the road looking like a jerk. No I wasn't even going very fast, maybe 35. When this happened, I heard a cracking noise that sounded like a weld cracking on my brand new floors on the pass side. I got under it and went poking around where the noise was coming from, but nothing is moving. However I hear the noise continuing when I hit hard bumps, or when braking and turning. Are there any suggestions for finding the popped weld, or should I just go over all my welds again? Thanks in advance guys!

G

·
0 Posts
maby the car is pulling left because the right brake is seized. this happen to me once in another car i used to have. if the right brake doesnt, it will pull the car left because there is more resistance on the l/h side. just a thought, ben

·
Registered
933 Posts
With your brakes, it's hard to say without more information. But, I would start by adjusting the brakes. If the left side is grabbing early, the car will pull to the left. Drum brakes will always have a tendency of locking up. Upgrading to front disc brakes would be a definite improvement and they don't have to be power assisted to meet your expectations. The most inexpensive route would be to do the Granada swap. This has been discussed extensively and info can be found in the search feature of the forum. Your cracking or popping noise is another one which would be had to determine at this time. Try to isolate the noise further and let us know what you find.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts