Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to clean - reseal and paint the motor (302) for my car and I have a few questions about cleaning and painting it. I was planning on cleaning it with a pressure washer prior to dissasembly. My question is will it hurt anything to get water into the motor while cleaning? I am not planning to remove the crank, rods and pistons, but am dissasembling the heads to clean the valves. If I should not get water in it how do I seal the exhaust ports on the heads. I have the same question about painting it after I re-assemble the motor. Will it hurt to get the paint inside the exhaust ports on the head? Thanks for any information

-Rob

·
Registered
781 Posts
You can just stuff some rags in the ports to keep exsessive water out. Just don't blast the stream right at the rags. You can do the same when painting it. A little paint in the ports won't hurt to much as it will burn off. But I would still try to keep most of it out.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
...And a side note: use cloth rags – not paper! Sure 'nuff, you'll be pulling a wad of paper towel out, and you'll feel it rip! :p

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Use plastic grocery bags to stuff into the ports. They won't rip like paper towels and they "pack" better than rags. Cheap, too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
DUCK TAPE!! Cut it small and either use over your rags or alone!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts