someone. I have a friend that wants one for a 64 1/2 vert
with a V-8 engine. Does anyone know where to start and
what they go for?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I am not sure what the law is in your state.,.but I am pretty sure buying a Title in most any state is illegal....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see how it's illegal if a person has a car that is gone
and they sell a title, door tag, and inner fender stamps but I
might be wrong.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I'll try to explain this..if a person had a car and it was junked..the Title is recorded at the local DMV as *JUNKED*..if someone else tries to register using that title..I am sure they will have alot of questions to answer..The DMV might even begin to think the person trying to use that junk title has a stolen car. I still can't figure out how a person can own a car without a title..beats my sense of reasoning..well anyway *Good Luck*

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If the car has a VIN that is not junked and he does not have a title and can not get one from the PO, try Broadway Title Company. They will run a backround check to make sure it's not stolen and then give you a bill of sale which can be used for a title application in most states.

You can also go to the DMV and find out who the last registerd owner was, get a lost title application and have him sign it for you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
In Massachusetts, old cars originally never had titles.. you can simply apply for a new title if don't have one. You have to fill out a form, have an officer come to your house, inspect the car and VIN (to make sure that you are not lying and the VIN has not been modified), the officer then runs your numbers to make sure the car is not stolen, and then the officer signs off on it, you pay 50 bucks, and the title arrives at your door a month later.

·
Registered
437 Posts
if you are talking about welding VIN numbers from another car onto your car, I am sure that is illegal, if not, certainly unethical, especially if you are, for example, "making" a K code vert from a 6 cylinder car.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
It is not illegal to buy and sell titles, but it is illegal to use them on a car they did not original pertain to.

John Harvey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts