Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are welding two piecs of pretty thin guage (22) metal together, what kind of materal can you use to gring off the exces weld? If I use the normal metal grinding pads, I end up buffing the welds away. Are there 'sandstone' type pads, or am I just grinding too hard?
JH

·
Registered
389 Posts
When you make a butt weld, leave a slight gap so the weld penetrates 100%. On auto body work it's not always possible, but when you can, weld both sides. If done correctly you should be able to grind down flush to the original surface level and still have a solid surface.
On thicker material or when a gap is not feasible, at least bevel the joint so the weld will penetrate deeper. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
865 Posts
3 M makes some grinding discs.I used the small ones on my small angle grinder to get into tight places.I grind the weld flush with the metal.I think the grid was 40 on the discs.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
On thin material, I find an abrasive disc (flexible fabric back) with a rubber backup in the 120-150 grit J-weight range (more flexible than X-weight) seems to do well.....I don't do body work but sometimes have to repair machinery covers that are made from light material.

Since I have a TIG welder, the welds rarely need finishing unless a completely smooth surface is required.

Call or drop by an industrial supplier which caters to the auto body shops in your area and explain your needs...they have a myriad of products which can help...

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts