Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys!

What is the difference between a harmonic balancer for 1965-1968 for 289 and 1969-1973 for 302? Both are 3 bolt. Aren't they both 28oz.?

I see webshops sell them as "1965-1968 289" and then "1969-1973 302". Two different products and different prices. I thought they were the same. If I am wrong, please correct me. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
The early balancers had a internal lip or recess on them as the early crank pulley has an external lip that fits into it. The 302 balancer I believe is also heavier giving better dampening and both are 28 oz balance . They are interchangeable as long as you have the correct crank pulley.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
You can buy aftermarket 28 oz. balancers that accommodate the early 3 bolt pulleys and the later 4 bolt pulleys. Here's one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys! I have an early '73 302, and the previous owner installed an harmonic balancer labeled "1965-1968 289" before I bought i. It says so on the receipt. Macsautoparts is one of the stores that sell this one, plus the "1969-1973 302". That is why I am a bit confused with these balancers.

Of course I don't want the wrong part in my engine.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,397 Posts
The MAN has spoken.
That is all. :)

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Also, from 70, they need a passenger side timing pointer, because the timing marks moved when the water pump moved. Can't use a 70 balancer with an early water pump.
The one that awhtx linked to, has both sets of marks.

·
Registered
35,318 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Actually, the Bronco, through '77, retained a 3-bolt balancer and crankshaft pulley, hence the D2TZ engineering number.....
According to NPD. The part Macs listed is a Bronco balancer just like Bart said.

73-77 BRONCO D2TZ-6316-B IS DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE-IT WILL NOT INTERCHANGE

The part listed by My66HT is clearly a 65-68 balancer. Recommend you swap it for the correct 4 bolt one. What pulley do you have a. The PO might have used the early balancer to match an early pulley.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I am still confused how they managed that one.
Take a look at the complete setup on the front of the engine. Your '73 engine may have been converted into using the original setup for the car. If you try to mix different generations of the front parts on these engine, you easily get into problems, like pulleys that do not line up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Take a look at the complete setup on the front of the engine. Your '73 engine may have been converted into using the original setup for the car. If you try to mix different generations of the front parts on these engine, you easily get into problems, like pulleys that do not line up.
Thank you. Are these poor pictures any help?

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you guys suggest that I do?
Keep as is with the pre 69 balancer and pulley?
Or change to a correct balancer and pulley?

If I ask 10 people I know I will get at least 8 different opinions, and everyone is an expert, but I trust the knowledge here more than the average enthusiast and even shops. 😅

1 - 20 of 29 Posts