Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm guessing the PO swapped the 73 engine in, then put the front accessory system from the 66 on it. It's what most people would do ... nothing wrong with that.
What you have now is the correct pulley and balancer for the application.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
But what's the problem you are trying to solve? I've only remember seeing you ask for the difference between the balancers.
I don't have a problem to solve, I am sorry if I put it that way. Someone suggested I swap my "pre 69 289 parts" out with the more correct "post 69 302 parts". I am open to good arguments either way. :) I am no expert here and get a bit confused.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you have all matching parts you are golden. It looks like you are running what is right for your car, you have a '66? I'd like to snag me a 2 groove bottom pulley like you have. I got rid of my 3 groove in order to make the engine "cleaner looking"

·
Registered
35,315 Posts
I don't have a problem to solve, I am sorry if I put it that way. Someone suggested I swap my "pre 69 289 parts" out with the more correct "post 69 302 parts". I am open to good arguments either way. :) I am no expert here and get a bit confused.
I always recommend people use such parts matching the year of the car. That way, even if you are using a late model 5.0, hoses, belts, etcetera, always match the year of the car. With the availability of conversion balancers, and so on, it's dead easy to do. Makes "stealth" possible, too. A highly upgraded 5.0 roller cam engine can easily pass for a stock 289 4V engine, if you want.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I always recommend people use such parts matching the year of the car. That way, even if you are using a late model 5.0, hoses, belts, etcetera, always match the year of the car. With the availability of conversion balancers, and so on, it's dead easy to do. Makes "stealth" possible, too. A highly upgraded 5.0 roller cam engine can easily pass for a stock 289 4V engine, if you want.
Totally agree with @22GT . It seems you have everything together and in good running order. The 302 isn't going to care that a 289 front dress is attached, nor will it have any detrimental effects.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,397 Posts
Either way is good.
If it ain't broke...
But if it would give you greater peace of mind to have a matched set and you judge it worth it to you...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you! I think I will leave it as is. I am picking up a few surprices of parts here and there, and this confused me a bit. Especially since I discovered that I had the wrong flexplate installed when I bought it, and that gave the engine the annoying vibration.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts