Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is WEIRD... my gf recetly purchased a nice 66 mustang. and, i gave it a full tne up ( plugs, cap rotor etc) and installed a pertronix unit along with a hot coil. the ignition switch was damaged due to someone mangling it when trying to steal the car from the PO. we had a brand new switch installed and now, when you turn the key the car will just crank and crank, then as soon as u STOP cranking it the car will start right up.. what could be causing this? i think its pretty weird.. the car starts up fine, its just odd that it starts up when you STOP cranking the ignition

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Check the connection and wiring from the solenoid to the starter. If corroded or a bad connection, it draws the voltage down too much on the battery, preventing the ignition from firing. Happened to my car.

·
Registered
36,591 Posts
Also check continuity between wire on "I" terminal of solenoid with coil +.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you probably have no coil voltage while cranking and it could be related to erroneously installed Pertronix. normally when you put ign key in "start" you get full 12 Vs at top of coil that overrides normal ballast/pink wire coil voltage of 6 to 9 Vs like a wired "or" circuit. when you release ign key solenoid falls out and 12 Vs is removed and pink wire Vs are at coil + term for normal "run". when you put 12 Vs in and bypassed normal path you probably have no path now and the 12Vs that is suppse to be on "I" term of solenoid is most likely missing. put voltmeter on + coil term and note voltage while cranking - if none engine will not run. also confirm you h ave brown wire on "I" term of solenoid (small one toward starter side of solenoid)and red with blue stripe wire on "S" term of solenoid. PM me with results or for further diagnoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts