Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headers arrived today from Ford Six Performance Parts. Great quality and they are already Jet-Hot coated. (1968 200ci engine) I am in the process of removing the old exhaust manifold and I am having trouble with a few of the bolts. The first two bolts (the ones closer the the radiator) came off easily. They are 9/16. Then there are 3 bolts which I can't find the right size wrench for. I was using my 1/2 and 9/16 wrench. The bolts are too big for the 1/2 side of the wrench and too small for the 9/16 side of the wrench. I went through all the wrenches I had but I could not find the right one. What size should they be? I am just talking about the bolts on the top of the manifold. I haven't gotten to the bottom bolts yet. The last bolt (closest to the firewall) is also 9/16. I am having alot of trouble with it. I have been soaking it with WD40 and it wont budge. Any suggestions?

I will need to replace the gasket and header bolts. Should I get a stock gasket and stock bolt set?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
613 Posts
Any chance someone used metric somewhere down the line?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
My guess would be 14mm. Or 17/32.

Forget the WD-40. Get yourself some PB Blaster. Let it sit overnight and come back to it. Like cutting buttahhhh.

Frank

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I've encountered that same problem with several 6cyl exhaust manifolds... don't know why it happens with 6s more, it just does.

In addition to PB Blaster, you can also peen the head of the bolts so they mushroom out a bit and use a 6 point socket. The bangingon the head will help loosen the rusted-in bolt but also enlarge the head to give the socket a bite at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts