1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Don't know much about engines.

Attached picture from my car.

Can some one tell what is the tube in the left? It comes from the motor but does not go anywhere. What is this, and where this should go.
Is this original part or modification.

And what is the tube that comes under the carburetor and is blocked by screw. Where this should go.

Eddie

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tube coming from the back of the manifold is a road draft tube, used before PCV system to allow crankcase fumes out of engine, usually the pipe is longer and goes down the rear of the engine alongside bellhousing.
Pipe with plug in it coming out of aftermarket Holley carb would normally go to the PCV valve in valve cover which is probably not there because of the road draft tube.

·
Registered
35,851 Posts
No. The road draft tube did connect at that point, but he has the later S tube that connected a PCV valve to the carb spacer. The PCV valve has been unscrewed from his. His 4100 carb is gone, replaced by a generic Holly, which is actually inferior.

His PCV valve is missing (I'm pretty sure it's available, though) and his carb spacer is also missing, these are available new, also). Lack of the spacer is killing his low rpm torque. The carb is probably larger cfm than the original, making that even worse.

The plugged hose on his Holley is for PCV connection.

You can see it in the upper diagram here:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

Thanks for the answers, now I have some idea what that tube is.
My car is D code, build 16th of June, DSO New orleans.

You say "later" S tube, do you mean that this tube should not be on my car? If this should not be in my car, what should be?

Did find pictures from 64½ vs. 65 Mustang Engine Compartment, Exhaust & Transmission Differences
http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/dif-e7a.jpg
http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/dif-e11a.jpg
These have just tube going down. Should it be like these?
I have no hole on left side valve cover.

Here is tube that connects to valve cover
http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/dif-e10a.jpg
Just went to see LA '64 (build 9th of July). It was like this (could not see from where tube came though). It also had tube from air cleaner to left side valve cover breather. A have breather, but not the tube to air cleaner.

Site also says "Timing cover on V8 includes oil filler tube on road draft engines, and dipstick tube on all engines (road draft option reintroduced after 5/25/64) "
I do not have oil filler tube (There is unopened place for it).

Seems that a lot of parts have been changed during the years, so really can not trust anything that is on the car.

Can some one fiqure this out what I should have.

Also, I'll try to make car look more original (planning to buy Autolite 4100 carburetor). Would you recommend 480 or 600 cfm model?

Sorry for these many questions!

Btw. is there some book for those drawings you did post?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts