Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1970 fastback and a 429 from a 69 t-bird. Does anyone know if I will need to modify anything to get thing engine in here? I thought that since there were 429 boss mustangs that my standard 429 should fit. I measured the engine accross and the distance between the shock towers and it will be close but, it looks like it will work. Has anyone done this that can give any advice? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It will fit. But, be sure you put new spark plugs in the engine before you install it.....You can use power steering, with the right exhaust.....Good luck. Let me know if you need any questions answered....been there, done it......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your time and advice. Im not too concerned with the power stearing. (of course it would be nice but if it wont work) Is there room for headers? Thanks again

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crites Restoration sells engine mounts for the swap along with headers - they are big, 2" primaries if I remember correctly. I have a '70 Sportsroof with a 460 and am in the process of having custom headers made since I didn't use a particular swap package, so if you make the motor mounts yourself or any other custom fab work be prepared to have to buy custom headers. I don't think you will be sorry. Yeah the 460 adds a couple hundred pounds over a small block but with some aluminum pieces, no AC, and moving the battery to the trunk you are back to having decent weight distribution.
Micah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts