Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I'll keep this short. I think its time for a new mecanic! this post is referring to my 92 sable and I wanted some input about it. Now at the start of July(as in first week) my tranny was slipping a little mostly if I would accelerate in a turn. Check the tranny fluid and there was nothing on the dipstick. Went to a local garage, got them to fill it up(two quarts) About four weeks later, as in this week, I check the fluid and again, nothing on the dipstick. Now you don't have to be a mecanic or a genious to know that something isn't right here in this scenario. I went to see my mecanic(soon to be ex) and tell him this. Puts the car on the hoist, looks it over and the bottom looks dry. Doesn't seem to be any leaks. So what does he say and do? Well, we'll just fill it up, keep an eye on it and if it goes down again, then there's a problem. Well Duh!!??

Anyways here's my question. He said it might be the oil filter for the tranny. Could that be a possible cause? Any other Ideas? I agree with him though, it didn't seem to be leaking anywhere. It was dry. But something isn't right.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
I aint no automatic xpurt. But maybe you were lower then 2 quarts the first time. It may have taken a little time to re-fill the converter, meaning not instantly, but a few minuts to work air outand that you simple didn't re-check right away. ait might have been low right from the get go. The other possibility is maybe you have a bad vacuum modulater and it's sucking the ATF right into the engine. Hence, low fluid level and no visable leaks. BTW, I have a 93 Sable wagon with a 3.0. Wanna buy it? Runs great, dual airbags and 4 wheel anti lock discs. If anyone is interested, cheap!

·
Registered
771 Posts
i would drop the pan on the tranny change the oil and filter and then see what happens wouldnt let that mechanic touch my car!

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you don't see any external leaks(check were you park your car),Then check the radiator.If the coolant looks oily or if there is oil in your overflow bottle then the cooler in the right side of the radiator is probably leaking.You trans dosn't have a vacume modulator,so any leak will be visable or into the coolant.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's not going to be a problem with the filter. You're checking the fluid in the pan, before it goes through the filter. If the problem was a clogged filter, it would tend to read too full, rather than not full enough.

I don't know which years were effected, and wether they had the countless problems with the Sable fixed by '92, but I know that when I had my '88 Sable (biggest piece of crap I ever wasted money on), one of the many factory recalls for that year's Sable was for the tranny. Ford replaced my tranny after 35,000 miles when it failed. I couldn't GIVE that car away with 60,000 miles on it ... apparently everyone else already knew what I didn't learn until too late about how crappy those year Sables were.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I haven't really had to many problems with the 92 sable. I mean my dad did replace the tranny when it was his car at 140,000km(or more, not sure) But I have 236,000km and the only major repair I'd done was the radiator.(know on wood)...this car has been pretty reliable up to now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts