Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an advantage to 31 spline axles over 28? Also, is 100 bucks for a pair of rear axles in good condition and straight a fiar price for a 66 stang? Thx for your help.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If its for a 31 spline pair of axles its a great price, for a 28 spline its a little high.Ford used the 28 spline axles behind the 289 HIPO engine and 390 GT's, so they felt they were good enough. For extreme use and high torque applications- such as drag racing (ie 428CJ and Boss cars) the 31 splines were basically required if things were going to hold together. One other advantage for 31 spline axles- you can find alot more 31 spline centers (they were used in alot of truck over the years)- especially posi's (trac locs etc.).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok that's what I figured. So if I am not going to be throwing too much at it, or taking it to the strip, a 28 spline rear is good? I am having my 3rd member made for me so that isn't a concern. I have a good lead on an 8" housing for 30 bucks, axles for $100, and 3rd member fully rebuilt drop in for $400 with 3.50:1 gearing. I am looking at around $550 bucks for a rear minus brakes pretty much brand new. Man I wish I could find a complete unit from the right year with the right gears. I bet I could save some money.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The new 4.6L 4V Mach 1's use 28-splines and they're a low 13-second car stock.

28's great for street use but they'll break if you launch hard on slicks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts