Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am looking at selling and swapping out the wheels on my wifes 69. Getting rid of the old GT steel wheels and looking for a set of possibly used Magnum 500s.

Here is the question. Altho I cannot confirm I believe the car to be generally stock condition. That being said, with wheels that are 14x6 in front and 14x7 in the back, what would be the max tire width before you have rubbing issues both for front and back? Would a 215/70/14 tire work without a prob?

Currently the car has 195/70/14 tires all the way around, and was told the GT rims are 14x6.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I Had 245/60 on 14x7 rims on my 70 at one time. had no issues
since have 235/60 on all 4

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Novel idea, measure how much open space there is now :rolleyes:
Thanks. Only issue is Idont have the rims that the new tires will be going on, and since they may have different backspacing and likely will sit differently, and the rear wheel will be bigger than what is on now, I just wanted to ask.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not upgrade to 15's since 14 inch tires are getting harder to find. I run 15x8 wheels with 275/60 in the rear and 245/60 in the front. They rub a little.
I seem to be able to find them ok. I think with all the cars out there with 14 inch rims I am not too worried about them going away. Plus honestly and the bigger reason is I am working on buying a used set for less than a new set, good condition, and they are 14. Will save a lot over new tho.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the 15 inch rims, if you ran something narrower than 245 would it rub?

If i dont get the 14 inch used ones I am likely looking at buying new, and then I could get 15 inch, but again, my main concern is I dont want it to rub at all. Just not good to have it do that. More than likely I would put 15 x7s on all. 15x8 possibly in back but I would be concerned with that rim width about the tire contacting the car as you mentioned.

·
Registered
654 Posts
To maximize room for larger tires, consider beating inner fender well weld flange back and out of the way. I did this on my 70 and probably increased clearance in spots about 3/4". Also roll the fender lip under to prevent clearance issues there. Larger wheels not only increase the available selection of tires, also makes room for larger brakes if you desire.

Although this does not apply as you have the stock leaf springs, on my 70 Mach 1 restomod, I am running a 18x10 with a 285/35 tire in the rear at the moment. I went conservative with the first set of rear tires and will go with a 295/35 the next time around. I can do this only because the car now has a 4-link with coil overs which add about another inch of clearance.
I had a Factory Five Cobra with 17 inch wheels. The performance tire selection for wider 17 inch tires has been dwindling for a quite a while. I chose 18 wheels for my restomod for brake clearance and a wider choice of manufacturers and tire performance levels.

BTW, the Magnum 500 are one of the best looking wheels for the 69 and 70s. If you like larger wheels, there are a number of manufacturers that make 17 inch replicas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To maximize room for larger tires, consider beating inner fender well weld flange back and out of the way. I did this on my 70 and probably increased clearance in spots about 3/4". Also roll the fender lip under to prevent clearance issues there. Larger wheels not only increase the available selection of tires, also makes room for larger brakes if you desire.

Although this does not apply as you have the stock leaf springs, on my 70 Mach 1 restomod, I am running a 18x10 with a 285/35 tire in the rear at the moment. I went conservative with the first set of rear tires and will go with a 295/35 the next time around. I can do this only because the car now has a 4-link with coil overs which add about another inch of clearance.
I had a Factory Five Cobra with 17 inch wheels. The performance tire selection for wider 17 inch tires has been dwindling for a quite a while. I chose 18 wheels for my restomod for brake clearance and a wider choice of manufacturers and tire performance levels.

BTW, the Magnum 500 are one of the best looking wheels for the 69 and 70s. If you like larger wheels, there are a number of manufacturers that make 17 inch replicas.
I agree with rolling your fenders for maximum room. I have 275/35 r18 on my rear and it rubs when the rear flexes.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Bishop, you're thinking much too small. I have 235/60/14s on the front on steel 14 x 7 wheels. Lots of room. Have 275/60/15s on the back on 15 x 7 Torino steel wheels that have LOTS of backspace. Fits without rubbing, in a 69 fastback body. LSG

·
Registered
625 Posts
This should get a rise out of some people- according to Barnett468 who has restored many many Stangs, 235/60-15 will be the widest you can put on front without them hitting slightly under some conditions. The wheels need to be 15x7 with a 4.25 backspace. Barnett is shall we say "opinionated" and some disagree with him. I don't know if it matters, but he was specifically referring to 69s.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have 255s on the front of my 65 and I know you 67 and later Mustang guys have more room than I do so 235s?...baahhhhh!

Disclaimer...some improvements required!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts