Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fenders on my 70 Mach 1 have always had "wavy" areas in the horizontal surface above the fender wells. Like they were stamped and the metal was stretched too much. The waves give under hand pressure when washing or waxing. All the new 70's I looked at when buying this car had the same problem. Some worse than others. The dealerships said that is was common to virtually all '70's.

Does your '70 have this problem? Is there anything that can be done without replacement? I really don't want to do anything, since the paint is still the original and in good shape unless there is a really good solution.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I got a dent in the top of one of my fenders when I jacked the car up from the side once. Seemed the fender shifted? Had to loosen the bolts and let it kinda go back into place and then retighten. One top bolt towards the center, if I tighten just a bit too much a dip forms in the fender. I just leave it a bit loose. Need to be real careful with these wide fenders, so easy to lean on doing any kind of work under the hood. The big No No. Try the bolt thing and see if you can't work out some of the waves. Ofcourse keeping an eye on the hood gap.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I have a small wave there... but nothing I would try to fix if doing body work. I think it was a byrpoduct of stamping such a LARGE quarter fender... but then again what do I know!?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I need to do a little bolt turning to see if I can reduce the metal distortion.

Thanks for your inputs.

Bob

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
After reading all the posts, you may be missing some strip caulking that goes between the fender and the apron. It acts to reduce rattles, but also takes up the slop between the two pieces of metal, allowing the fender to retain it's shape. If you try and tighten bolts without it, you're bending the fender to the shape of the apron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts