Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I would like to buy my first classic Mustang and ask You which option will be better assuming the condition and price are similar.I don't have much experience.

Mustang Mach 1 71 - VIN: 1F05H206470 - automatic 3speed transmission, 240HP
or
Mustang Mach1 73 - VIN: 3F05Q216294 - 4speed manual - 266HP

·
Registered
35,493 Posts
Even with the detuned engine, the Q code 351C 4V 4-speed would be more fun to drive than the 351C 2V FMX. Unless, of course, you live in a congested area, with little opportunity to open it up, and much opportunity to stop at intersections.

About the only other disadvantage to the 73 is the 90 pound front bumper, which was so massive it required unique front springs for the 73 Mustang.

Reactions: Daisy

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I prefer an auto but out of the 2 i like the 73

71-73 had the best mustang power steering and imo almost just almost on par with todays cars. Plus very little chance of leaks

my 71 coupe had such responsive road feel. my 70 ehhhhh

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
i'd go for the 71. the 73 has a sunroof and a rebuilt title.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"rebuilt title" what you mean?
I was also thinking about the sunroof, but I think it would bother me.

can you tell me something about engines? I know the specifications but I don't know the opinions.

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
Rebuilt, like salvage. The car was totalled at one point in it's life.

The sunroof would be a big no for me. I mean, I like sunroofs just fine, but I think it would kill you on resale. Not an easy or inexpensive thing to reverse.

I'll go run and hide from 2nd 66 now.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
That 71 sold on eBay a couple months back, those are the pics from the auction. The 73, no clue, but those look like data scraping sites just waiting for a sucker to scam.

·
Registered
35,493 Posts
Rebuilt, like salvage. The car was totalled at one point in it's life.

The sunroof would be a big no for me. I mean, I like sunroofs just fine, but I think it would kill you on resale. Not an easy or inexpensive thing to reverse.

I'll go run and hide from 2nd 66 now.
Not so much. Since it has the landau top, you graft a piece of steel into that tiny hole, and replace the vinyl and headliner.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I would stay away from the '73 since it was wrecked badly enough to replace a frame rail. Low chance it was done correctly to drive like it should. If you figure the cost for that and taking care of the sun roof and vinyl top, o would move on, you will always have a rebuilt title unless you live somewhere that doesn't title older cars.
That being said, I would probably look for a '71-'72 with less rust, but both of thos cars are well-optioned

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
They can be fun cars, just keep your head on straight.

1) Very large and very heavy compared to most the earlier Mustangs.

2) If you fill the gas tank, you affect the value. These are a LOT fewer parts available for these cars than the earlier ones, a LOT fewer of these cars made, so fewer used parts, and a LOT more of these cars wound up scrapped, so all affects the supply of parts.

3) Value: The same parts that cost so must on these cars go onto a car that, condition for condition, are worth less than earlier cars. Not biased, but the way it is. The rusty 1966 GT fastback costs more than a nice 1972 Fastback, quasi restored.

4) Driveability. They drive smoother than the original ones, but have some visibility issues. If you can find an old US Post Office Blue mail box
with the little 1" wide slot for the mail, that is the visibility out the rear window of the 71 - 73 fastback. The glass is very flat, and in winter, it holds snow and ice like a hood.

Advantages: Safety (shoulder belts, collapsible steering, side lights, etc.) Ac and power steering were common (and fixing or adding factory AC is a monster though).

Remember, there were more

1966 Coupes just with standard interior made

Than ALL 1971 1972 1973 Coupes Convertibles and Fastbacks COMBINED.

Think about that, more 1966 Glove box doors, standard interior, not even counting the woodgrain, than ALL 1971 - 1973 TOTAL production.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you opinions.
I know these mustangs are big and I like them for it.

Referring to 73 - i think that sunroof it's not a big problem - just like you said - it can be removed(vinyl also).

#Cobra6 - unfortunately there is not too much such cars on my market. I can order it from USA but this is additionally cost for shipping. I wonder what you mean "it was wrecked badly enough" - how to check? There is a some database like "carfax" where I can check their stories?

And how do you know that it have "rebuilt title"

I am sorry for the simple questions but I am a beginner;)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
NewMustangFun - no problem. The ad says - R title Drivers section frame has been repaired. That means it was wrecked badly sometime.
But Mustangerbob 1 is right about a lot of disadvantages on these cars. I had a '71 Mach 1 for many years. I wanted an earlier model when I bought mine at 16 years old. My dad knew a friend who had the '71 and wanted to sell it because he wanted something to pull a bass boat with. It was probably wise, since the car had been well maintained.
They are fun to drive - better down the highway than the older models. The 351C got terrible fuel mileage (probably 10 mpg around town) but gas was $.50 a gallon when I bought it.
A couple of other things - heavy front end, and the back is so light it is dangerous on a wet road. It was a PITA job to change spark plugs, especially if you had AC and power steering.
I don't know how many times I almost backed into someone because you can't see.
Parts are expensive - the last time I saw interior door panels they were around $500.
The trunks leaked terribly on these, if the quarters need to be replaced, the whole trunk and tail light panels are probably swiss cheese
Anyway, just research what you are getting into.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Rust belt cars that will not pass any inspection for registration causing you to spend mucho money - buy the best car thats NOT a rust bucket!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Those cars should be well under your budget. The 71 should be around $2000. There isn't enough info about the 73 it might be worth a bit more since it looks like it rolls without crumbling.

If you are not from the USA you need to learn more about how to find cars and about these cars in general. Whatever that classiccardb is, it not a known, reputable website that I have ever heard of. It is not even secure. Keep looking! Go elsewhere! Read Read Read!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts