Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 coupe has a 1978 302 2V engine and a C4 in it and naturally I'm not happy with its performance. I don't want another dragtser but I would like more pep. I plan on rebuilding the engine in the fall and looking for options with the heads. Besides going with a 4V and a dual palne intake should I go with 289 heads or stay with the 302 heads. Also, are there any differences with the 289 and 302 cams? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If the engine is OEM and in good rebuildable shape, I'd keep the long block (rebuild it), change the cam (and related valvetrain), intake, carb and exhaust. Shoot for something mild, like the Edelbrock Performer package (not necessarily the brand, but the specs). Use an 11" converter in the trans and install shift kit. Go to a 3.25 minimum rear gear.

You can have good performance from a low compression engine (BTW, IIRC, you can get more compression out of your 302 heads by using a different piston when rebuilding). Just keep the cam mild, the carb small (600 cfm or smaller) and give the engine room to rpm (converter and gear).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
As a baseline, a friend had his '79 Fairmont dynoed and it cranked out 127HP at the rear wheels. His engine is stock (same as '78 specs) with a/c. p/s, and all smog equipment present and working. Some mods he's done is K&N air filter, aftermarket catyletic converter, and a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler - so pretty much stock. V8 Fairmonts had 2-1/4" single exhaust systems - wish Ford used 2-1/4" exhaust on the '65 Mustangs...

For heads, the 289 would increase compress a lot if using stock pistons so I would recommend using the E7TE heads off a '87-'93 5.0L HO Mustang. They're plentiful and cheap since the 5.0L crowd seems to dump them for aluminum heads. And if you happened to find an '87-'91 Lincoln MK VII with a HO 5.0L, they have the same heads. The advantage of the E7TE head other than superior breathing is you can reuse your pedestal mount rockers and their exhaust ports are in the same location as your '78 engine.

While you're in there, grind off the air injection bumps inside the exhaust ports - you can do the same thing to the '78 heads if you decide to keep them.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Nothing wake up a SBF like a cam change. The factory cam was around 180 duration @.050. Most of the after market cams start at 210 @.050 (about 260 advertised)

Either head would be fine for a mild street engine. The other changes would be a good addition also.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Studiopet has a 78 302 in his 66.
He added a mild cam, intake and 4v carb and he wasn't completely happy so he also put on a set of 65 289 heads to up the compresssion ratio. His car has a lot more pep to it now and although it took him awhile to get it all done ;) I think he is pretty happy with the results. You might want to shoot him a PM to get more specifics.

And remember....rocker arms from 78 302 heads don't work on 65 289 heads :) Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
you can wake up those small blocks pretty well, and they love to wind fast ... i am pretty happy with the performance of my edelbrock package.. although, now that ive got 3.55 gears im probably going to change my intake manifold to a weiand stealth and FINALLY get some headers to compliment my good exhaust system . i have some hooker super comps for it, but they will hang TOO Low and scrape on anything taller than say .00002 inch lol ...il say this much though.....everytime i see "347" anywhere, i wish i had saved up the money and just gone with that over my built 289. i really would love to have that extra torque from the extra cubes

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
LMAN has it right. I know the pistons in the '87-'93 Mustang 5.0L HO engines have valve reliefs in their tops. So, a clearance check should be done.

Pat, Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. Won't happen again. *G*

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts