Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I've been rebuilding my four-piston factory discs ('65 coupe, 289) and I've got three questions. I've torn down the brakes to the spindle and I need to know some things before I start putting them back together.

1. Is there a gasket that goes between these two surfaces? My shop manual diagram indicates there's something called "Gasket" here, but it just looks like it's the caliper mounting adapter. See photo at the end as reference.
IMG_4065.jpg

2. Which one of these bolts is oriented correctly? When I took them off the car, the bolts were going through the rotor dust shield and the nut was on the other side (like the left nut). Shop manual diagram indicates that the bolt should be coming through from the back, and the nut should be on the surface facing me (like on the right). Again, see shop manual for reference.
IMG_4064.jpg

3. Finally: What's the torque value for the aforementioned nuts? This question stems from something else I don't get; what's the difference between the parts highlighted in the photo below? Why are the torque values separate, when the splash shield and mounting bracket share the same bolt/nut?
IMG_4066.jpg

Here's the photo of the diagram in my shop manual:
IMG_4067.jpg

I've circled the bolts in question (notice their orientation) and the "gasket" (which appears to just be the caliper mounting bracket. Nothing I saw when disassembling indicated their was a gasket here but I want to know what the shop manual is referring to.

Apologies for the relatively long post. Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No gasket-Nuts on REAR of spindle, Tighten to tight, Reasonable tight.
45-50 will be fine with a lock nut.
No gas
Thank you Dan, knowledgeable and helpful as ever. Interesting that the shop manual shows the nut on the outer surface, but I assume it makes sense that the extra threads should go out the back. Thanks for the info!

If no gasket, OK if I just have the contact surfaces bare? I stripped and painted the caliper brackets but covered the area that is in contact with the spindle. SHOULD I paint it for corrosion resistance? Does it matter?

Cheers and thanks again,
Alex

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Thank you Dan, knowledgeable and helpful as ever. Interesting that the shop manual shows the nut on the outer surface, but I assume it makes sense that the extra threads should go out the back. Thanks for the info!

If no gasket, OK if I just have the contact surfaces bare? I stripped and painted the caliper brackets but covered the area that is in contact with the spindle. SHOULD I paint it for corrosion resistance? Does it matter?

Cheers and thanks again,
Alex
Yes, paint to protect.
Yes the bolts need to be head on rotor side. Extra bolt rubbing on rotor is not good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts