Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Just received last of my Griggs GR350 suspension (minus shocks and springs, which I will order once ride height is set) and I have a question in regards to the Torque Arm pivot snubber. I won’t go into a big back story on why I have two different snubbers in my possession (this has been a long affair...didn’t happen overnight), but, I have one from Griggs and one from a different vendor selling similar products (yes...a competitor). The Griggs poly snubber and “other” vendor poly snubber are identical, even have same part number cast in them. The bolt bushings, however, are completely different. The Griggs bolt bushing is not only crazy loose in the poly snubber, but based on the Torque Arm crossmember slot the bushing is also crazy loose in respects to front to back and side to side play. The “other” vendor bolt bushing is not only a press fit into snubber but it fits “better” inside the slot (just fits...very little play). Question is...is the Griggs bushing arrangement that they sent me correct or is the “other” bushing what I should run? Can one of you folks running their Torque Arm let me know what size you are running? See pics detailing below (didn’t break out the calipers as it’s pretty obvious).

Bolt bushing fit in poly snubber

Bolt bushing comparison

Bolt bushing and slot clearance

Edit-Though it didn’t come with kit...I did just find a Griggs diagram that shows, in fact, the larger bushing is correct??? Can’t say why Griggs sent me the loose bushing other than an error on their side while packing the order. Either way, if someone with a Griggs Torque Arm could confirm bushing size (fitment) my life and safety would feel a whole lot better about it.

Griggs Snubber Diagram

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not running the Griggs torque arm but I do have the front suspension set up. Yes, Griggs has issues sending the right parts on occasion. I would run the tight set up (competitors). If you run the loose (Griggs) set up you may get some unwanted noise from the torque moving under accel/decel. Also, if the competitors parts match the Griggs drawing, well, I think that would be it for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks blutruck1. Broke out the calipers and this is what I got:

Griggs-bushing
1. ID 0.450” (0.452”=7/16)
2. OD 0.625” (0.625”=5/8)
3. Length 2.450”

Other-bushing
1. ID 0.625” (0.625”=5/8)
2. OD 1”
3. Length 1.75”

Griggs Diagram-bushing
1. ID 0.452” or 7/16
2. OD 0.75” or 3/4
3. Length 2.450”

So we can see that the Griggs ID and length are good compared against their drawing...but early assumption that bushing is too loose is correct as the OD is 0.125” (1/8) too short in diameter. The ”other” bushing is 0.250” (1/4) too big in diameter and almost 0.75” (3/4) too short (according to drawing anyway). Last thing I want to have is torque arm bushing fail and javelin into the ground at speed...sounds insanely dangerous to me. I would feel more comfortable trimming poly snubber and running the thicker, shorter bushing and a 5/8” bolt than the loose one Griggs sent me and the 7/16” bolt that came with it. Actually, I would feel better machining a new bushing with competitors specs but at the correct 2.450” length. There’s lots of stress on this connection point and I want to be safe. I rather they did their pivot like Maximum Motorsports or Mike Maier really...never been keen on Griggs solution to connecting their torque arm to their crossmember anyway.

I will see if anyone else chimes in and if not I will machine my own bushing with heavier duty 5/8” bolt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify one thing, competitor sent me poly snubber and bushing with no guarantee, expressed or implied that they were correct...they went out of their way to help me get the suspension sorted. Worst case I will end up with an extra set of poly snubbers which are wear items anyway.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I would agree with Blutruck: go with the tighter one. I had my Griggs front assembled and then realized that they had sent me the wrong UCA with the right part number. I am fairly certain I know the competitor you speak of, and they actually were once part of Griggs organization so I am only partly surprised at the duplicate part numbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts