Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K car came to me without a motor and my car was built
on May 25th, 1965 and I have located a K-code engine with
a May 18th date on it. Would this be an acceptable time
frame for this to be the original motor? It has a stamp
on the block of C5AE-6015-E on the bottom and a stamp of
5E18 (May 18, 1965) by the timing cover.
Thanks for the help
Kevin Gartner
65KGT Coupe
64 1/2 Coupe

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Seems to me it would work. The engine is earlier than the car's build date and the two dates, although close, are reasonable.

G

·
0 Posts
Kevin...30-90 days prior to build date would be better. How plausable is it that that block was cast on the 18th and then totally preparred (probably with earlier parts) and then slipped in a car in about a week? i would find a block a little earlier. But that's me. Tony

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
I agree, that would be fast work for the factory! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have 1965 coupe built in San Jose on 7/25/65.
The date code on the engine is 7/14/65 (11 days prior)
I know that the engine is original as I am the 3rd owner and the previous 2 were family members....

I am not sure that there is any hard and fast "rule" on the date code as it just needs to be prior to the build date.

I have also seen an original motor in a 65' built in Dearborn that had a date# 1 day prior to the build date of the car (the intake had a date# 7 days prior to the car)

They built these things pretty quickly..... but then again, I am no expert.

Thanks.

Eric

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
That proves the factory could work fast then. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Yes, the critical thing is that the engine date precedes the build date, and since there are no records of actual build dates for the 1965 models no one can argue about it.

G

·
0 Posts
Try to remember that Ford was approaching 1 million cars sold quickly. They did not build a 100 engines and wait for the cars to be ordered. Equipment was being built as fast as they could, and if engine production fell behind then possible dates to coinicide. I have seen tons of originals within days to include glass, bdy panels etc that have really close build dates. I also own a Boss who's engine falls into the same month, but glass and panels were 6 months earlier than my original order in April of 1970. Shelbys were ordered by color in 67 therefore its easy to see various serial numbers and therefore parts from early to late not following our learned experience. Just 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts