Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google was no help on this one.

My sister's computer is set up to turn the monitor off after 5 minutes of inactivity. The screen saver is disabled, but with the monitor shutting off, it's effectively acting as a screen saver.

For years it worked without any problems. In the last few months she's been complaining that the monitor isn't shutting off automatically. I go in, change the timer to a different interval (3 minutes) and then the monitor turns off properly. I set it back to 5 minutes, and it works for a few weeks, then it seems to stop working correctly.

The system is a HP Pavilion a1110n upgraded to 2GB RAM, running Windows XP Pro SP3. It's a pretty vanilla setup, but of course, I have no idea if she mucked it up with any malware. Spybot, adaware, Windows Defender and Symantec Antivirus say it's clean. Other than the screen not turning off, the computer works fine.

Any suggestions? And before Dooley chimes in, buying a Mac isn't an option right now.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Google HP Pavilion a1110n monitor not turning off.
And you get this thread....lol

Mine is set up on a blank screensaver at 10 mins, then power off after 20 mins. Never had that problem.

Here's a dumb question..Does she have an optical mouse? They tend to drift and will stop the power process. Just a random thought.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, it was a cheapie computer when she bought it a few years ago, PS/2 "regular" mouse (the kind with the ball in the bottom) and regular keyboard. I've heard of Bluetooth keyboards and mice waking computers up, but not wired ones. Oh well, I guess I'll just tell her to turn the monitor off manually until Bob wants to buy her a Mac. ;)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Maybe there is a driver issue and it just needs to be reloaded.

Have you loaded all the MS patches? Sometimes there are driver updates that can be downloaded when the patches are downloaded and installed.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm an HP tech and I've never heard of anything like this. Even checked some of the tech only sites....nothing.
I second the updating drivers and maybe a bios upgrade.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's got all of the latest updates on it. I try to keep up with those because I know no one else will bother.

The only other power management settings I have enabled are to turn off the hard disk after 1 hour of inactivity.

·
Registered
767 Posts
It's not exactly the same, but my new Atom-based Vista PC won't go to S3 suspend if I have something (that I haven't quite figured out yet) open. I don't know if it's YouTube, my VPN connection to work, or what.

When I first built it and was transitioning over from my very power hungry (190+W idle) old desktop to it, it would S3 suspend and wakeup just great. As soon as I started actually using it, it now goes to sleep a few times a week but more often than not when I come home from work, it's still running.

I'd try booting it without a mouse and without a network connection, and not running anything and see if the monitor turns off. If it does, start adding things until you figure out what is causing it. If it doesn't, then I don't know what to tell you that the guys above haven't already suggested.

·
Registered
765 Posts
A few thoughts:
1. Try disabling SAV realtime protection.
2. Have you tried to boot in safemode and see if problem persists?
3. Is it on a UPS?

·
Registered
765 Posts
obsidianspider said:
If/when it comes back, I'll see about disabling the SAV or booting into safe mode.

It's not on a UPS, just a surge suppressor.
I've seen both power sags and SAV wreak havoc with this. The power fluctuations will cause it to come out of standby and SAV scans can do the same. If the goal is to save power / monitor life, using the power button on the monitor is a better option. Switching the plugstrip off is even better. I hibernate my machine and then kill power. To restore, I flip the switch and then power it up. I'm up in no time and don't suffer windows start up. Power consumption is nill that way.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Are any of the media players or software loading at start up into the task bar? Quick launch icons.

I had Real Player checking for updates at times and would stop my laptop from going into standby when noone was on it. I just msconfiged the computer and unchecked it in the start up menu.

It could be any third party software doing this, not just the media ones. Doesn't hurt to call up all the software running and see if there's anything on there that may be causing a problem.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked for that. A bunch of "background" programs were running (Quicktime helper, Java Quickstart, Adobe Reader quick start, etc.). Those have been disabled now by disabling them in msconfig. It's been OK for the last few days, so hopefully the trend will continue. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts