Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an inexpensive plasma cutter. Read all the directions, watched many videos. They say use a #5 lens. The only thing I have at the moment is a harbor freight welder's lens. It says #5, but it's impossible to see anything through it. Can barely see the plasma arc. Probably more than a #5 lens ? I have no basis as I've never welded before btw, but will be getting a welder's helmet and start practicing welding soon - for those floors.

What eye protection are you using when cutting floors/sheet metal with a plasma cutter?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Arc Current (Amperes)Minimum Protective ShadeSuggested Shade Number (Comfort)
Less than 2044
20-4055
40-6066
60-8088
80-30089
300-400912
400-8001014

I use my auto-sensing welding helmet. You can adjust the setting once you start using it.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
same here- I have an auto tinting helmet as well. I've worn dark shades a few times, but only while cutting short distances, and held the cutter such that it blocked the direct view of the light.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
22 Posts
Brighten up the area you are cutting and it helps alot, I had 2 powerfull LED lights aimed at my cut.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Same thing here, I tried using dark glasses, not enough tint. Auto darkening helmet kept darkening then getting light. Had trouble getting it adjusted to right darkness for all the cuts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts