Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does chrome pit and what can be done to prevent it. I have a California carand when I got it in 98' the chrome was perfect. After 3 years here in the northeast the door handles and rear view mirrors are startint to pit pretty bad. I want to protect the bumpers and other moldings from this fate. The car is not driven in the rain and stored in the winter.

Rich
68' Lime Gold Coupe

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The pitting is corrosion. Keeping it out of the humidity will help a lot and a good coat of wax too.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Door handles and mirrors are potmetal underneith, they corrode very easily.

[color:blue]68 GT500[color:blue]
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

[color:red]MCA# 18519[color:red]

·
Registered
277 Posts
if the chrome is pitted down to the potmetal, forget it. no amount of polishing or buffing will have it look right (though it may indeed look better by removing the raised area).

people have been known to use clearcote on their chrome. works great, looks good, but i've never seen it look like bare chrome.

as i live in coastal houston (nasty humidity, corosive atmosphere, salt spray, etc.), i'll be doing this to most all of my new chrome.

-Aaron

"...your son has The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude."
"Can he lead a normal life?"
"No. He'll be an engineer."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts