Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The prior owner of my 71 Mach I replaced the original collision damaged body shell with a virtually rust free body out of Arizona. Unfortunately he did not retain the original vin numbers so it no longer has a Mach I vin. Worse yet he doesn't even know what the original vin was.

It now has a I6 vin with a California salvage title.

On the plus side he switched everything over onto the new shell so it has all the OEM MACH I items except the chrome strip along the side between the paint colors.

When I got the car it was a theft recovery missing the drive train so I put the power plant I wanted (351w/AOD) instead of going back to the original (351c/4speed).

See my photo albums for details.

My question is:

What would you call this car?

Can't really call it a Mach I anymore. Would it be a Mach I clone? Is there something else you would call it?

Doesn't really matter much to me because the way I have it built it is a blast to drive.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
The prior owner of my 71 Mach I replaced the original collision damaged body shell with a virtually rust free body out of Arizona. Unfortunately he did not retain the original vin numbers so it no longer has a Mach I vin. Worse yet he doesn't even know what the original vin was.

It now has a I6 vin with a California salvage title.

On the plus side he switched everything over onto the new shell so it has all the OEM MACH I items except the chrome strip along the side between the paint colors.

When I got the car it was a theft recovery missing the drive train so I put the power plant I wanted (351w/AOD) instead of going back to the original (351c/4speed).

See my photo albums for details.

My question is:

What would you call this car?

Can't really call it a Mach I anymore. Would it be a Mach I clone? Is there something else you would call it?.
1971 Mustang Fastback, or Mach-1 clone.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Call it whatever you want. Just don't try to b.s. anyone about it's history.

·
Registered
35,833 Posts
Which is available new, so you could go all the way. I wouldn't, though, since you have the "hockey stick" stripes. IIRC, the chrome was standard, but with the optional stripes, the chrome was deleted.

Well, since it's an I6 VIN, that would really be the original drivetrain.

Can't really call it a Mach I anymore. Would it be a Mach I clone? Is there something else you would call it?
A Mustang Sportsroof.

Doesn't really matter much to me because the way I have it built it is a blast to drive.
Sounds like a great fun car. Just don't call it a mach1, call it a "tribute", or a "clone".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which is available new, so you could go all the way.
Could but I never really liked that chrome strip anyway. Maybe at the next repaint...Right now it's got the Mach I paint but if I repaint I might go total custom... Maybe....

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
If it looks like a Mach I smells like a Mach I sounds like a Mach I and a curious person asks what it is I would say Mach I. If the person seems like a Mustang nut or you're selling the ii's something like a Mach I replica or Mach I clone. JMO.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would think it is still a Mach 1 just with a salvage title. Everything about the car is still a Mach 1.

·
Registered
35,833 Posts
If it looks like a Mach I smells like a Mach I sounds like a Mach I and a curious person asks what it is I would say Mach I. If the person seems like a Mustang nut or you're selling the ii's something like a Mach I replica or Mach I clone. JMO.
I would think it is still a Mach 1 just with a salvage title. Everything about the car is still a Mach 1.
No, not exactly. "mach1" wasn't just a groovy set of stripes, it was a specific model, encoded into the VIN, like a Shelby, or a BOSS. This car is legally just a 6-cylinder sportsroof with some really groovy parts and trim. You could tell the kids at Dairy Queen it's a mach1, but anybody who's Mustang savvy looking through the windshield will know he's lying, and if he were to say the word "mach1" while selling the car, he'd be wide-open to meeting lawyers, cops, judges…

Let's just stick with "it's a really fun Mustang".

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Parts car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts