Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I don't understand the point in participating in high stakes MCA events. Laurie S and others spend days picking gravel out of the tire treads and polishing the paint right off their trumpets (Midlife *hehe*) only to be criticized by people. Seems like a form of torture or self mutilation.

Sometimes I think I would like to get a couple trophies under my belt after my restoration, just for pedigree. But I think I would really rather just drive it to Dairy Queen and have all the local yocals ooh and ahh over it.

So what's the motivation?

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/doorsonright.jpg

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
It's a goal/objective, Gold or die thing..... You can come back from the show and gripe about the raw deal from the judges or use the judging sheet as directions of how to get your car up to Gold standards. The car show thing is not for everybody!

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your right It's all about Dairy Queen.

Most people don't even notice that those minor details that "judges" mark off for. Alot of people see my car and think it's awsome in reality it a about 4 maybe even 5. I'm staying in the daily driver class only. I don't enter shows hoping to win, I just like the good parking spot...

AKA "Fastbackpimp"
http://hometown.aol.com//dasbus73/Index.html
[color:blue]VMF Member Since Nov. 99</font color=blue>
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sounds like golf to me. Spend money, try hard, just to end up pissed off and feeling inadequate. I'm glad my home town has a peoples choice type of show. Last year they let me show my car with the emblems off and rust showing on the fenders. I didn't have to obsess over what class I was in. It was easy, I'm in the 65/66 class. Park right here, nice car.

I'm sure when I finally go through the convertible with a fine tooth comb, I'll hit a MCA event so I can be shown how to get closer to the promised land. But for now I'm happy as a clam running around town with my Autozone alternator and fan belts and a 4 barrel on a C-code. The MCA events surely have there place, and of course there will always be complaints about judging.

But for myself I think back about when I was younger and dreaming about owning cars like the ones I have now. And I sure don't remember dreaming about having the correct hose clamps or NOS windshield wiper blades. I just wanted great looking cars with like new operating systems. And I think I can do that, cool!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129084.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
First, I respect and admire those who build show cars, both for their dedication and love for the vehicle and hobby. But I have to wonder how, with the quality of parts out there. I reassembled the interior of my car last week with new repro parts and the fit and finish is horrible. The metal trim on the Pony door panels was torqued, the wood decal for the door handles is crooked, and the scuff plates are soooo thin and didn't fit well, now the're all bent up. I did the best that I could and took my time, but there is no way you could show a car with these kind of parts installed on them. I guess it will due for my weekend cruiser. Are the parts used on show cars all nice NOS parts, restored original parts or what?

FYI: IEOYC means insert expletive of your choice.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Premium Member
19,232 Posts
It's fine for those folks. But, MCA in the recent past has had blinders on, devoting most of it's energy to these restorations and the Gold. There's lots more people like you and me who just enjoy the cars and want to show them off, warts and all, but MCA doesn't cater to us much. Let's hope that changes in the future.

As for polishing the paint off the trumpets, no one (after several posts requesting information) stated that they were painted originally. I'm not going to claim the Doofus for that! (Besides, they look really cool with shiny chrome all over the place. It helps to dazzle the Camaros that have to follow Midlife...).

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I will side with Midlife on the trumpets, This was brought up many times over the years of the old VMF and there were many many reponses, Including me, on how to clean the Black soot off. Nobody ever said they were black. I think the Whole VMF deserves a Piece of the DOOFUS award for this screw-up.

AKA "Fastbackpimp"
http://hometown.aol.com//dasbus73/Index.html
[color:blue]VMF Member Since Nov. 99</font color=blue>
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I enjoy going to local shows that are mostly participant voting type. I have thought about going to an MCA show where cars are judged..but I find I would be in the modified class because my Mach has headers, and it seems most cars in that class have thousands of dollars worth of mods..for right now I am happy with local shows..winning a 2 dollar trophy and hanging with friends..

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good points all! I would be the first to applaud a concours car. I know the long hours and long dollars it takes to achieve that. But what really gets me is the people who go to car shows and rather than looking at a car for what it is, they look at it and point out what it isn't. This is a small minority of our hobby, and MOST of us a more than willing to assist others in achieving whatever the goal is for their car. This is very evident by this forum. But let us not forget the daily driver, or the project. These are the rolling billboards for our hobby this is what makes the new guy pursue his/her dream of one day owning a car like yours. How many times have we walked past a car at a show that was not as nice as the rest? Can you imagine the thrill of some kid who sits there and has you ask him about his car? How much stronger will his desire become to improve his car? I would say enormous! Salute those who have the "best". Encourage
the others who have not yet achieved it.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
I have to agree with others. I admire the owners craftsmanship on a lot of these cars, it'll probably surpass what I could do. I feel sorry those who get knocked down for what the "current" standards are set.

However, I'm 45, grew up in the sixties and have been into cars since I was 4! I remember at looking at all of these cars at the local dealers, the build quality was no where near of that of the same models being shown today. The cars back then had orange peel in the paint, not to mention the runs and sags. What about panel fitment, that was an oximoron! I'll bet if you took a car straight from a sixties factory quality and shown it next to todays restored cars in judgement, they would fail miserably. I allways remember when my parents would buy a new car, and a wrong part or other goof up from the factory would have to be fixed.

Basically what I think, the show cars today are very nice, but are nothing more than blueprinted cars set to be judged against standards that never existed for build quality.

I value original cars that have survived with most of there original parts installed on them, with some road rash than the trailer queens. I sorry I'm not trying to offend peoples hard work, just my view.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575517&a=11977890&p=44194856.jpg

Hale Boppe comet shot off my roof. See you can use 100 iso at night with no flash!

G

·
A friend of mine is in to Tbirds, he has a Ford promotional brochure which shows the seats and interior of one, I am thinking it was a 1960 model, he had to show me how wrinkled the seats looked and side panels, no where near the perfect and smooth fit seen on the restored cars today.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would be happier showing off my car at work, the mall, or on the road rather than as a trailer queen. That's just me. But if I go to a show, I really admire those pristeen automobiles and the sweat and tears behind them. It gives me something to work for, even if I don't really intend to go all the way.
My $0.02 worth for the day.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582316&a=12039610&p=44141294.jpg

G

·
I couldn't agree more. I put about 5000 miles a year on my car. These were meant to be driven & enjoyed. I certainly appreciate looking at a well restored car, but I'm glad I don't have one. I'd be afraid to drive it!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590821&a=12112344&p=43884139.jpg

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Why do I show my coupe in concours? Simple, when you have what appears to be a Plain Jane coupe that has no modifications and is an original absolutely stock car, forget the local shows, especially if voting determines the "winners." When I take Murphy to that type of show 90% of the people take a quick look and walk on by. That gets really hurtful after awhile...particularly when they're oohing and aahing over a badly painted bright red convertible. I go the concours route because the car is original and has been kept original as much as possible. I also like the challenge of improving the car as I work on it and show it. What I don't like is know-it-all judges who don't have the basic smarts to say hello when they start judging, treat you like a foolish woman who doesn't know anything about her car, and don't have the decency to say nice car or anything else when they're done (which they are supposed to do at the MCA shows). The Pensacola show will not stop me from competing, and in fact, I will go back there next year. Murphy will have his revenge! *G*

I love it when a plan comes together!

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I push for MCA-defined perfection because I don't have a chromed-out engine and a color-sanded, mirror-finished paint job. I've lost consistently to a club member's flashy and beautiful black '65 GT coupe at People's Choice events, although it wouldn't last 30 seconds in an MCA-judged event. I consider my car a rolling museum, and returning it to originality is important to me.

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572046&a=11947204&p=42951236&Sequence=3.jpg

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate what you're saying, and let me tell you. If I saw your car at a local show, I would be all over it. My first car was a 68 Sunlit Gold coupe with black vinyl top, 289, ac and ps. I think that's a great color combination. Good luck in your future shows.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Could not have been said better! Two thumbs up!!

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

G

·
it takes experience to know what repro parts are suitable and when NOS or restored original parts need to be used. unfortunately, it usually takes the novice restorer spending the money at least once on inferior parts.

on my car, i use only reproduction parts that I know are identical to original in fit, finish and appearance.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
well, i think a lot of concours cars are spawned by people taking things farther than they intended. the strive for perfection is probably a little something we all carry around with us. if you have a car taken all the way down, it really is not that much more effort to put it back as factory original, it mainly just takes more money.

my fastback is one of those cars that the owner got carried away with /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. i intended to do a mild resto-mod type thing and ended up with a full-blown concours trailered car. only problem is i like to drive it so it's not as fresh as it was 5k miles ago.

i think MCA shows are like most other competitive events, with the final objective to be the best... or among the best. i don't see the harm in this. If you go with the right attitude, the judging is viewed as 'helping' your car, not criticizing your car. Unfortunately, in my case, no judge has ever been able to tell me anything i didn't already know about the car... except about that NOS antenna I had on it when it was freshly restored.

Like Laurie mentioned, sometimes MCA shows are the only place that you can really prove the quality of the car and the restoration. Popular vote shows are great for shiny red convertibles, but put that convertible against me at a National and let's see where it really stands. Winning any award is good, but sometimes people win at these local shows and think their car must be the best thing since sliced bread and then go bragging everywhere about how good it is.... and then automatically think because they beat me out that my car is not as good as theirs... etc... anyway, MCA is where you can go and prove the car once and for all. Some are into it, some aren't. If everyone thought and did the same things this would be a boring world.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts