Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My top is only one year old and the plastic rear window is already getting scratched to hell. I'm not interested in keeping it show quality, but I don't want to have to replace it in another year because I can't see out of it when the top is up.

Any ideas on how to maintain or fix the problem. I was thinking of some plastic polish to help get the scratches out. What about keeping them out?

Thanks.

Slade

·
Registered
762 Posts
One guy on here told me to put a towel on the rear window as you put the top down and it keeps the window from folding on itself and scratching. I've been doing that and it seems to help. I've had mixed results with the plastic polish...can't hurt but be prepared to be underwhelmed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't know if you unzip the window each time you drop the top, but in theory it would help. That and put a towel flat in the well liner and then another above the window before dropping the top. That's perfect world. Real world (what I do as a lazy man): I put the top half way down and then push a towel in a roll into the window as it folds in half. I try to be sure to smooth out any binding or creasing in the window when I push the towel roll in there so it doesn't leave any crease marks. I've also heard those foam pool float noodle things are good for this if you cut them to the correct length.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
When you replace it (not if) get a folding glass window. In general anything you can do to keep the window (inside and out) and the well area absolutely clean will increase longevity. Also try to minimize the number of times you raise and lower the top. I put mine down in April/May and back up in September/October - but mine isn't really a daily driver, I drive it when the weather/temp looks acceptable, but I do commute in it to work on such days. I find that if I put the door windows up I can go up to 75/80 mph on the freeway without to much discomfort/wind - but I have a high tolerance :).

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I have a garage, I pretty much leave the plastic unzipped from the top. Mainly because I tend to only drive it on nice days. But even at that, I'm getting a lot of scratches. I'll try some towels to see if that helps.

Slade

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
When the top is halfway down, pull the flap on each side of window up ie the part of top that is folding with the window. Straighten out any creases in window and use the towel. I always put the top up when car is in garage and cover it. Found some good polish at a marine supply store and it works well(Mothers Mag Wheel Polish is also good). Trick is to use the polish with a damp cloth and polish with a cloth diaper. Auto parts is selling cloths like this. My ex 65 is now 4 yrs into resto and the top has been put up countless times. White top is starting to show a little wear but window is still excellent.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Making sure the window doesn't crease, stays as clean as possible and using towels seems to be the best way. I usually let my top go down about 1/2 to 3/4 and then pull out the sides to keep it from creasing.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I do the same as others have suggested. I pull the creases out of the window as I'm putting the top down. I have not used towels or anything else and the window has stayed pretty clear. However, after reading this thread I'll add the towels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts