Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 200ci exhaust manifold has a small port on top that a tube inserts into which connects to the choke. It appears that port is a passage that runs through the manifold and out at the bottom. Is that passage supposed to be open? Mine is clogged up, probably with mud dauber mud. Also looking at a pic of a new one is that a connector of some kind attached to the bottom of that passage? And if so, what connects to it?

Also it looks like there is supposed to be a shroud under the air intake. Mine is long gone. Are those available anywhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don’t know in a 68, but in my 66 that tube going from the hole connects the manifold with the choke, and sends hot air. Port should be open, and I don’t think there is a connector there, mine at least hasn’t.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
It should be open. I had that setup before I put the headers on my 65. You are correct it is the hot air that opens the choke after the engine warms up .

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm pretty sure all they had in that bottom hole originally was some steel wool looking stuff to keep the mud daubers out.

The heat pipe to the choke just shoves in that hole on the top.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with a shroud on the air intake? Got any pics?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure all they had in that bottom hole originally was some steel wool looking stuff to keep the mud daubers out.

The heat pipe to the choke just shoves in that hole on the top.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with a shroud on the air intake? Got any pics?
Here is a scan of the Shop Manual. You can see what I'm referring to under the air breather.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Thats the heat riser. It draws air across the exhaust manifold, heating it then it goes into the engine. Its designed to keep the engine from running lean in cold weather.

Pre-68 didnt have them.

Its a nice period correct piece and works well, but itsnt really necessary unless you are in the arctic.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
The hole in the Exhaust Manifold is supposed to be clogged from the mid-point down (enough to get the choke tube in from the Top) with what looks like a Heavy Duty Brillo-like Metal Material... That's the way they were from the factory.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Josep, You have a California Built "R"-Plant Code 1966 Mustang 6cyl. ????

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
13,388 Posts
A lot of people seem to think that exhaust actually goes through the tube to the choke. It is not exhaust but fresh air that has been heated by the manifold passing through that tube. That's why it's packed with steel wool or similar- to filter the air that is drawn through and to keep bugs out.

·
Registered
36,572 Posts
The 68-up I6 shroud is not reproduced, and hard to find used.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
"The 68-up I6 shroud is not reproduced, and hard to find used."

Usually, You can find the Shroud in various states of condition.....but the Original Metal Tubes to the Shroud are made out of Unobtainium!

Would not be bad parts for someone to Reproduce given the amount of '68-'71 6 bangers out there...

Tony K.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not really in the market for one. I was just curious what it was. The best thing it would do is make my air breather fit better on the carburetor.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts