Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when changing over to a four barrel setup do i need to change the 2v heads also or can i retain the originals.thanks for the help.randy ::

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
As far as i know there isn't a 4v head for a 302. They difference was a bigger cam and higher compresstion. All you need to do is change the intake. I went with a cheaper performer without the EGR passage. that steped up to get rid of my non-working EGR vavle. That means that you can take out all the of the temp vac. valves and just route the vac advance to the ported vac and the PCV vavle to constant vac.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You can bolt a four barrel intake to a two barrel 302.......as with all windsors, pay attention to sealing the water ports to the intake well....or youll be changing gaskets twice.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
In 68, the 289 heads were large D chamber affairs instead of the smaller heart shaped chambers. These had lower compression. Not really a big deal. With todays gas, you don't want a ridiculous amount of compression anyway. The only real difference between a 2V and 4V motor was the pistons: dished in a 2V, flat top in a 4V. The intake swap is easy and rewarding. Watch the gasket orientation like Sharkmouth said, and depending on preference you can use the leaky cork gaskets for the front and rear, or clean the surfaces with alcohol and just use RTV. (Can't tell my preference from that :D)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
On a windsor, I would only use the blue felpro intake gaskets (printoseal?) that look like they have a narrow bead of dried RTV already on them.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Here is another important question for you.....

what size 4 bbl carb are you going to use? and what brand of carb?
which intake will you put on your motor?

Are you also thinking about cam upgrades?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts