Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a set of Comp Cams 1.72 roller rockers that came with a set of heads that I bought used. The heads came disassembled. I've never installed roller rockers so I have a few questions.

1. Should the roller tip on the rockers be right on the center of the tip of the valve when fully tightened down?

2. The rockers came with 32 nuts, is the extra nut used to keep the first nut locked into place? (double nut) The nuts are the locking type, oval at the top.

3. Should I use assembly lube on the tips of the rocker and the push rods and the little disk with oil grooves that centers the rocker on the stud?

4. Finally does anyone have a picture of their roller rockers assembled that you could send me?

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
1. You can adjust the guideplate to center the rocker side to side, the roller should stay centered on the valve through the travel of the rocker. Different length pushrods may be required if the rocker tip gets too close to the edge of the valve tip.

2. The extra deep nuts are called Poly-locks... Inside the poly-locks are set screws that are jammed down on top of the stud to lock the adjustment. No jam nuts.

3. Assembly lube? Always!

Compcams.com and Cranecams.com both have excellent websites that have loads of info...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Oh, and make sure you get hardened pushrods for use with guideplates. . .

·
Registered
678 Posts
1. Should the roller tip on the rockers be right on the center of the tip of the valve when fully tightened down?

Yes, as the valvle goes up and down the roller will roll back and forth across the center line.

2. The rockers came with 32 nuts, is the extra nut used to keep the first nut locked into place? (double nut) The nuts are the locking type, oval at the top.

Not sure.

3. Should I use assembly lube on the tips of the rocker and the push rods and the little disk with oil grooves that centers the rocker on the stud?

I would use assembly lube everywhere. It is there to lube moving parts until oil reaches them.

4. Finally does anyone have a picture of their roller rockers assembled that you could send me?

http://groups.msn.com/Myhtrd/my66mustang.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=477

Mine are pedistal mount which means no guide plates. No lock nuts, etc. Probably not what you have but I hope the picture helps anyway

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Re: centering roller on valve stem - roller should be centered on the stem AT MID LIFT only. It will sweep across the stem from zero lift to max. It's how you know you have the right length pushrods..

Side to side centering is done as described elsewhere. Don't panic if the roller isn't precisely centered side to side, adjust for best location. See either Comp Cams or Crane's website for a full description.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts