Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently aquired a 65 (title says 66, but it has a 65 grill... havent looked up the vin yet to tell for sure) convertable for free. it was origanly a 6 cylinder car. somewhere it got converted to a 302 2v with a C4, however nothing else got changed. the PO that i got the car from riped everything off from the firewall forward down to the frame rails, (including the inner fenders... ugh) execpt the shock towers. the only suspention parts i have are the power stearing asembly and the controll arms.

so, since i have to get all new front end parts for this car, is there anything spescific i should be looking at? can i take an entire front end from a granda and put it in this car? i am on a rather limited budjet, so $2000 for a rack-and-pinion conversion from a mustang II would be way too expensive /forums/images/icons/smile.gif any coments/sugestions would be apreciated.

also, since it has the original 6 cyl 7.25 inch rear end still in there, that will be getting replaced too. i would like to get a posi rear end, however i dont know if i can afford it. what kind of cars would have something that can fit, and how would i know if it is posi? how expensive should i expect it to be?

thanks!
- Jason

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow, you got a lot of work to do there. Can you weld? First thing you got to do is get the unibody back together. Those shock towers will not stay there with no inner fenders. I do not belive the Granda stuff will fit on your 65-66. Except the spindles, and breaks. Check Mustang plus, they have a lot of the parts to do this swap. As for the rear. I think the granda rear will fit, but it may be easyer to just get one for a 65-66 Mustang. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Buying all this stuff new is probably a good idea but its not going to be cheap (lots of stuff to buy). Get a NPD catalog and figure up the cost. If the shock towers and inner aprons are gone, then the car is probably not worth restoring...these pieces are not easily obtained...too far to go for a car thats more easily found in better condition... How about posting a picture so we can see what you're in for?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Where in Illinois are you located? A couple of months ago I was in junkyard off of Rt 83 south of Interstate 55 (Lemont?) and there was a 65-66 6 cylinder that had what appeared to be a decent front end. You might be able to get the whole front end assembly then weld it in your vert. The other option is to buy just the stub for a mustang II and source everthing else used. The stubs run about $400. Just a couple of ideas.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are some pictures, i hope the help.
http://home.attbi.com/~ksmid5/mustang/mustang1.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~ksmid5/mustang/mustang2.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~ksmid5/mustang/mustang3.jpg

I have repop sheet metal for the inner fenders that the PO gave me with the car, however i dont have a "jig" or anything like that to know how/where they go on the car, so i am probably going to send it out to get done, unless anyone else knows how i could get everything on there right by mysef... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
thanks,

- Jason

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you know how/can learn to weld then you can buy these manuals and figure out how to put it together yourself. BTW where did you get the car from? Did to PO give you an explanation as to why those items where removed? I am over on the east side of Lockport but I grew up in Naperville and then lived in Aurora by Waubonsie High School for a couple of years. Have you seen this. There are quite a few of us in the chicago metro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts