Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Question regarding batteries.

745 Views 22 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  sixtysevenGTconv
Hello everyone,

I believe I'll need a battery sooner than later. I'm not sure how old this battery and not familiar with the brand. Voltage is testing good , but it falls the test when I add CCA and run test.

I'm wondering if the actual autolite batteries are good? Or should I just add a replacement and put this autolite cover back on. This current battery is 700 CCA, but seems very slow at starting if the car sits for a couple weeks. Looks like advance auto has some Diehard platinum AGM batteries in the group 24 size.

Looking for a direct bolt in. Car is a 67 fastback with a 289 4v.

Thank you.
Sleeve Font Gas Electronic device Tire
Font Magenta Electric blue Event Rectangle
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Telephone
Vehicle Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Gadget

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
6,618 Posts
i write the date on the sticker b4 i install it.
i use any of the name brands that i can find a deal on

Reactions: BigDoginTN

· Registered
489 Posts
Any battery of any age can be or go bad. It tests good or it doesn't. If you need a new one, find that date code, and get a free replacement if still in the 60-month warranty. Else, it's about time to go shopping! 😁

Back when I was in the parts chain, we sold "free full-replacement" flooded batteries for 36, 48 or 60-months at a premium price. There's always fraud, and some would wait to near the end of warranty, pour out some acid and refill with water, so it would test bad. New battery! They saw it as a game to be played, and they often did. We could deny them with a specific-gravity test, but corporate said we got our money - give 'em the battery. The numbers actually worked-out, that it was like selling 2 discounted batteries and many did not do it, so it was a true money-maker. Games... :rolleyes:

· Registered
45,071 Posts
Any battery of any age can be or go bad. It tests good or it doesn't. If you need a new one, find that date code, and get a free replacement if still in the 60-month warranty. Else, it's about time to go shopping! 😁

Back when I was in the parts chain, we sold "free full-replacement" flooded batteries for 36, 48 or 60-months at a premium price. There's always fraud, and some would wait to near the end of warranty, pour out some acid and refill with water, so it would test bad. New battery! They saw it as a game to be played, and they often did. We could deny them with a specific-gravity test, but corporate said we got our money - give 'em the battery. The numbers actually worked-out, that it was like selling 2 discounted batteries and many did not do it, so it was a true money-maker. Games... :rolleyes:
Quicker if you just drop in an Alka-Seltzer tablet.... lol.

· Registered
130 Posts
If you do the route of an Autolite repo - I don't recommend the Turbostart one. I purchased one and the CCA weren't enough to re-start the engine after it had run. Shop was estimating the CCA at around 320. Yes, I could have returned it - but keep in mind - I'd have to pay the cost to ship it back (roughly 50 $) and then hope they agree that it was dysfunctional. I switched over to one sold through Mansfield which sources them from Jim's Battery Mfg. I have not installed it because it showed up during the winter months but it tested fine.

· Registered
69 Mach 1 , 68 K1500 short box GMC
473 Posts
Menards used to be my battery store when they sold Exide . Never a warranty issue . Go get a new one as long as it was in warranty, no prorating. They switched to Delco , now it’s prorated. The biggie with menards , many times their batteries were already old.
I recently bought one at auto value , 1 year later it pucked out But it was only used for 3 months .They wanted to prorate it to , but I raised so much Cain they replaced it 100 % under warranty.
Seems like batteries are no where near the quality they used to be ,at least that’s my experience.

Reactions: Bdubbs

· Registered
2,753 Posts
Costco has good prices on batteries.
Yep, Interstate. Around here it’s $180 for a 24F AGM. About $110 for flooded. I got an Exide from Home Depot 5 years ago that’s still going strong. I got that because it had a flat top so I could use the period correct topper (that I never bought). It’s a bit harder to find something with a flat top.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys,

I'll probably shop around and see what's out there. I may try one of those Diehard batteries. I believe there is only really 3-4 major battery manufacturers. Batteries are always a hit or miss.

· Registered
723 Posts
Never buy your battery at the Duty Free Store regardless of how good a deal it may be.
I'm canadian and have gone through a whole lotta batteries in my long driving career, but never heard of this one.
I know that doesn't answer your question but someone had to toss out a joke of some kind. That be me ;)

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never buy your battery at the Duty Free Store regardless of how good a deal it may be.
I'm canadian and have gone through a whole lotta batteries in my long driving career, but never heard of this one.
I know that doesn't answer your question but someone had to toss out a joke of some kind. That be me ;)
LoL.

We don't get these batteries down in the states. At least not in my area. So it doesn't really matter how old it is for warranty purposes.

I'll just start over with a new one. I have a feeling I'll be buying more. My 03 cobra battery isn't going to last much longer. I've always had good luck with motorcraft batteries in that car. Last one lasted about 10 years. Still worked, just weak.

· Registered
6,439 Posts
Last I knew the Diehards from Advance are made by Johnson Controls.
I just bought a new Diehard from Advance Auto for my 2018 F150 an AGM battery. I had recently read an article rating today's batteries and Diehard was rated very good. The mfg sticker on it says "Made in Germany".
Years ago the AutoZone Duralast batteries had high ratings, had a few and were fine.

· Registered
84 Posts
You stated that it is slow to start if it sits a couple of weeks. Do you put it on charge using a battery maintainer while it is sitting? I'm referring to a small, low amp charger with a maintenance cycle.

Art.

· Registered
‘69 Cougar convertible resto mod
387 Posts
Every single vehicle in the fleet got new batteries last year…EVERY ONE! WTF really? Cars all got Intestate from Costco. Bike got a Yuasa.

Reactions: Bdubbs

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Every single vehicle in the fleet got new batteries last year…EVERY ONE! WTF really? Cars all got Intestate from Costco. Bike got a Yuasa.
Definitely gets expensive!

I'm hoping I only need to replace this one, but could be 1-2 more...

· Registered
6,439 Posts
Not sure how long each fleet vehicle sits w/o run time.
But years ago I was told by a Batteries Plus employee, "no matter the battery brand, if it sits unused more than a few months it should be getting a trickle charge, or they will degrade".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts