Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start on prepping and priming probably about spring time (have to wait due to finances) and my plan of action is to prep and prime it all, save for the problem areas will have to get them fixed, and then begin work on suspension, differential, and hope I will have an engine by then. now heres the question: I heard that you cant leave primer on a car that long (probably about 1-2 years) but I thought since you have to sand it to get it smooth it wouldn't really make a hill of beans. I am planning on using Locker Epoxy primer.

Thanks in advance yall,

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I do not know about the brand of paint you describe. The PPG brand of epoxy - DP or DPLF - can only remain on the car uncovered for up to 6 months, according to the PPG tech sheet. After that, it looses it water shedding ability and I presume rust can develop under it. If you want to leave the car in primer for 2 years, you would have to scuff and shoot another coat on it twice a year. Why not either delay the paint and body until you have time and money to complete the job, or just go ahead and complete the body and paint now? Whatever you do, don't use a lacquer based-primer and leave that exposed. That kind of primer does not shed water and actually can act like a sponge to absorb water and trap it against the metal - causing rust under the primer.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
The PPG brand of epoxy - DP or DPLF - can only remain on the car uncovered for up to 6 months, according to the PPG tech sheet. After that, it looses it water shedding ability and I presume rust can develop under it.
Ken, could you check that for me? My PPG DPLF tech data sheet doesn't state that at all. It is my impression that because of the epoxy paint, it has excellent durability features against the environment for a very long time. Most restorations of the undercarriage use DPLF epoxy primer only (no top coat) because of this.

·
Registered
580 Posts
As far as I know, the only issue with epoxy primer is it will not stand up to UV rays. In the sun it will break down and get chalky very quickly. That's why it's ok for parts not exposed to the sun.

Lstar

1 - 4 of 4 Posts