Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a set of Crane gold roller rockers on my cleveland. After setting the hot lash to .022 I noticed that two of the positive stop nuts had the small allen screws on the inside a little further down than the others. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? I checked them 3 times. I used the procedure on compression stroke TDC, then 180 degrees, then 270 degrees more. If you know what I'm talking about I would appreciate a response in case somethings wrong. I would have figured they would all be the same height.

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,756 Posts
Sounds like you did it correctly, but they should be about the same height, unless the pushrods for those two valves have shortened (compressed or ground down due to lack of oil).

You might want to check by swapping a pushrod from another valve that is the "correct" height and see where the adjustment ends up.

Also, you mentioned that you did it at TDC, 180, and 270... how about the 90 setting? These two valves weren't suppose to be done there, were they?

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard of a 90 setting. If your correct maybe this is the problem. Actually, come to think of it the valves were fully closed or I wouldn't be able to set the lash. So they must be correct or a valve train problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thats really nothing to worry about. That just means that those rocker arm studs are a little deeper in the head, thus making the inside nut go farther until it hits. As long as the pushrods aren't junk "would seem unlikely to me" but it would be worth a looky see. I assume they are solid roller lifters? If not, they could have flattened the cam. But I've been wrong before. A lot. :)

67 FB GT S-code
4-speed

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Have you had a valve job done recently?....sometimes the valves sink more on one chamber and the stem height ends up a bit higher than the others...that would mean the rocker arm sits up higher so you have to screw the polylock setscrew down further...

How much are we talking about here?

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I did have a valve job done recently. Hopefully thats it. Just wanted to be sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts