Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on being on vacation in the Southwest sometime in April and need some travel advice from someone familiar with the that area.

I want to drive from Albuquerque to Tucson maybe getting in some sightseeing along the way so not necessarily all freeway driving at 80 mph. Leaving Albuquerque, looking at the map, Is going south on 25 then in Socorro, getting on 60 west, then 77/60 south, then 77 to Tucson, a viable way to go? Would that be unnecessarily long or any better ways to go? How long would that take?

Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've driven it a few times but have always taken the very un-scenic route. 10 -> 26 -> 25. So I can't be much help. If you did however choose to go that way stopping in Hatch for lunch is a must if I'm drivin.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Talk about going around your elbow to get to your thumb! :) I don't know about the New Mexico portion of your route, but am familiar with the Arizona section. Once you get past Springerville, you'll enter the forested section of the White Mountains. Haven't been up that way in a few years, but large portions were burned by some pretty extreme wildfires the last few summers, so just be aware. It's pretty much open road and easy driving with some great views of various topography - desert, high desert scrubland, forests, sheer river canyons, small towns, etc. Once you get past Oracle Junction and towards Tucson, then it turns to crap with lots of traffic and too many traffic lights. Until then, it's a fun drive.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
A couple of alternate routes are down south on 25 until you get Caballo Reservoir, and then west on 152 to the 180 into Silver City. It's a lot of mountainous, twisty roads until you get out of the Gila Wilderness, and if one is prone to car sickness, then not a good way to go. Once you're in Silver City, you can take the 90 southwest to Lordsburg and onto I-10. Or keep going south on I-25 until you get to Hatch and take Hwy 26 to Deming. Definitely stop in Hatch for lunch or a snack, especially if you really like green chile. Once you get to Deming, west on I-10. Get off I-10 about 5 miles from the Arizona border and go south on Hwy 80 towards Douglas. Once you clear Railroad Pass (some old structures still standing there), you enter the wide open San Bernardino Valley which takes you all the way into Douglas. Keep on 80 and you can stop in Douglas, Bisbee, and Tombstone, and then eventually you'll end up in the railroad town of Benson and be less than an hour away from Tucson. Lots of different routes, and if you're really interested in the southern route through AZ, let me know and I can give you some more ideas and places to see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I-40 will bore you to death, as will I-10, boring, boring, [email protected]#%@#% BORING!!

As long as you're not pressed for time, any road away from the interstates is definitely worth it. Hwy 60 is enjoyable and the route you suggest is way better then the interstates. I would suggest 60 to Springerville, then south on 191 (used to be 666). That is a very curvy, scenic, enjoyable 2 laner, lots of fun for bikers, sportier cars, then on into Tuscon. Or, you can do the 12 to the 180 in NM to Silver City, curvy, scenic, and way better then any interstate. Roads out this way (NE AZ) are pretty good, and are usually a non issue, except during the winter, we do get snow here.

We have critters, big uns out here, so be wary. I've come around corners to find deer and a herd of elk standing on the roads (191). Nothing quite like looking an bull elk in the eyes when he saunters up to you in your 4x4 to say "I was getting busy here"....

If you want maps of all the fun roads around the country, i'd suggest Butler maps: Butler Motorcycle Maps. These are pretty good for planning interesting trips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts