Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 67 convertible i added 6x9 speakers in the plastic piece on the side of the rear seat. The speaker sits out an extra 1 1/2 inches which is where the seat comes. I'm planning on narrowing the seat by removing the seat cover, cutting and rewelding the metal in the seat. On the vinyl seat there is a side section that is tapers from 2 inchs out to 4 inches. I'm planning on having mom unstich the seam, and take it in so it is 2 inches straght the whole way down giving the new speakers plenty of room.

does this sound reasonable? Am i missing something else obvious?

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I don't understand why your speakers stick out 1 1/2 inches, unless you got some huge speakers! I also have a set of 6x9's in the same spot on my 67 convertible, with just a 1/4 inch sticking out from the flat grille that covers it. I plan on taking the 1/4 out when I redo the seats & side trim and adding a cloth cover over the speakers flush and sewn into the vinyl surroundings and of course the same color as the vinyl, just as you would see on a lot of the newer cars & SUVs. This way you won't even know speakers are there unless the stereo is on.

I wouldn't cut the seat frame for a pair of speakers, there are so many more options that aren't so permanent! The convertible frames are so much harder and expensive to come by. If your going to modify something, I would find a coupe seat and cut it up, heck I've got one I'll trade you with, if all your going to do is cut it up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts