Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( today i went to start the mustang it started but then it turn right off. it didnt use to do that could the gas be the problem. its stock motor and I was wonder does it matter what kind of gas I put in the car cause this guy was telling me i need to use premium gas + octane boost + lead addive. is all that necessary.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
could the gas be the problem
It could be a gas related problem, but not likely the "type of gas".

is all that necessary?
No. If you're running 87 Octane, it should sufficiently burn.

Stock engines were designed to run on leaded fuel. As you may have noticed, leaded fuel is not a typical option at most gas stations.

Without the lead additive in fuel, eventually your exhaust valves will abnormally wear (deeper) into the cylinder heads. This is why you here of people installing "hardened seats" when getting a valve job.

Octane boost (any brand) is worthless.... don't waste your money. It is the equivalant of drinking "Evian" bottled water... which is I believe straight from the tap in New Jersey. With the right marketing, big business can convince most comsumers that their product is indispensable.

I'm not sure about the lead additives, but it does take a long, long time for the valve seats to wear into the cylinder heads. At $3.99 a bottle per fillup, over a couple years you'd probably spend more money on lead additive than a new pair of cylinder heads would cost you. Again, not a wise purchase.

Back to your problem. Combustion requires simple things... fuel and a timed spark. Are you getting fuel to the carb.? Are you getting spark?

Dave

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sigtauenus yep thats the one.

Dave yes fuel is going to the carb and it is sparking.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wonder if my fuel level is low that why its happening

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
As a side comment. Higher octane is actually slower burning, less explosive.
It's needed sometimes to reduce/prevent pre ignition. If anything the engine
will start start easier on low octane.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Octane boost is not needed. You will hear two opinions on whether or not it is necessary to use lead additive. Personally, I use the additive.

Were you able to start the car back up? If you could did it stop again? You live in VA, so I expect that it is a little colder this time of year. Could be your idle mixture or timing needs adjusted.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
6t9mach1 said:
Were you able to start the car back up? If you could did it stop again? You live in VA, so I expect that it is a little colder this time of year. Could be your idle mixture or timing needs adjusted.
+1

Does it have a airfilter installed? Did you pull the choke handle?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@fast68back it does have does a airfilter installed i need to clean it though. I did not pull the choke.

@6t9mach1 its been very cold here in va

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Pull the choke, if it is still connected, and try it again. If you want, remove the aircleaner and see if the butterfly moves when you pull the choke handle.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts