Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me all the factory colors for 70 Mach 1's? Did they come in black? And if they did, were the stripes and hood scoop white?

I have the opportunity to get a 70 mach 1 halfway restored. It's just about ready to paint, and after that all it needs is bolting together. It comes with a wrecked 69 mach parts car, and a whole truckload of parts. $4,500. I figure I can sell all the extra parts and make half the money back. It's a 351 Cleveland 4-barrel, 4-speed toploader. Sound like a deal?

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Don't know if it's a deal or not, but it does sound like fun. What's the paint code on the car? Do you just want a black one? Have you ever had a black car? It's Hell to keep clean. I would think black was available. Stripes were gold or silver though I bet.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Well there you have it. I have a PPG paint chip card from 70, I'll have to look at it. I still think blk/slvr would be nice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
While it wasn't original, a PO had painted my Mach 1 raven black and kept the original black stripes. It looked very cool but with the fastback window sans louvres it sucked up sun like you wouldn't believe. I had my own mobile greenhouse which is why its back to the original metallic blue now.

This is how it might look with white stripes though

http://www.diecastmusclecars.com/images/blk%20mach%201.gif

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Then that's the color. Looks fantastic! Unless you don't mind the extra hours & hours in detailing, then paint it black. Nothing is nicer than a well done, well cared for, black car.

·
Registered
578 Posts
According to what I can find Raven Black was available in 1970. The code was A or 9A. There might have a been slight color formulation change to account for the 2 different codes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Black was available in 70. Most came with the std black stripes, rare option was white stripes.

Check out the body/metal work that has already been done very carefully. To correct others mistakes can cost $$$.

·
Registered
350 Posts
70 Mach's came in black with semi gloss black or white stripes. You mentioned that you might like grabber orange. This might entice you ! Tom

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
black WAS available in 1970 under paint code 'A'. My first Mach 1, highlighted at my website, was bought from the original owner and was black with black stripes and vermillion (red/orange) interior. It too was a 351-4V, 4-speed, shaker equipped car. When I repainted the car, I used a dark charcoal metallic for the stripes to set the black off better......

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/mybosses/70mach.jpg

randy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts