Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats is required to put a 351w in a 66 mustang?
headders, motor mouts, will it even fit?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jonathan Vanleuvan

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Go to www.mustangsteve.com

He's one of us and has a good help article regarding this swap on his tech page. Its under a title,"Mustang Steve's FAQ Page". Keep scrolling down. Its still on there. I checked. Lots of other great tech, too.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You use the 289 motor mounts, bellhousing, 289 flywheel/flexplate, pilot bushing. A car 351W pan is needed, from FMS or aftermarket. You can even use the 289 front cover, water pump, and balancer!

The engine compartment is a little more cramped, but still easily serviced. You will need engine swap headers from either Hooker or Hedman.
Easy "bolt in" swap.... Benefits are worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I would agree with the others that exhaust is a very big issue, but would add the following:

Cooling - minimum 3-row radiator with better fan and shroud should be used. Make sure that ALL cooling components are in top shape.

Differential/Driveshaft - If your engine will put out 350lbs of torque, particularly for manual trans cars, you should think about upgrading to a 9-inch. That requires a modified driveshaft, too.

Suspension/brakes - Ws weigh about 75-100lbs more than a 289 if you are not going with aluminum heads/intake. This should require heavier (I used 620s) front springs and a larger sway bar (I used a 1-inch). Disc brakes are a must on a car with more power and more weight in the front end, too.

Engine mounts - Make sure you are using the late 66 mounts with new insulators. Otherwise, your headers will hit the shock towers most likely.

IMO, the swap is not exactly the "piece of cake" that some suggest, but it is well worth the trouble and expense if you are a torque addict.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Headers - Hedman has a direct application for this combo. They cost about $100. JBA makes a high end header at about $500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts