Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting ready to order wheels for my 1970 Mach 1 project. I've decided I want the Legendary Wheel Company (Scott Drake) aluminum Magnum 500 wheels in a 16" x 8". I'm pretty sure I found the wheels I want at Summit Racing:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-lw5060854a

However, I have some questions.

- It appears there is a "Satin" and a "Gloss" version of these wheels. I'm under the impression this applies to the painted, black center. Is this correct? If so, I think I want the gloss, black paint.

- Is there only one aluminum finish on the Legendary Wheel Company Magnum 500s? It appears they are all "Machined". Does that mean it's a polished or more of a satin finish? It's hard to tell in the pictures and I'm not sure if there are different aluminum finishes available.

- Are there any anomalies with these wheels which would make them difficult to balance or install? I've heard some steel versions of the Magnum 500 are "lug-centric" which most tire shops can't balance. I've also heard something about these wheels requiring thin wall sockets for the lug nuts. I admit I don't know what these issues are really about and if they are actual problems or not.

I would also appreciate anyone sharing their personal experience with buying and installing these wheels.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
I always thought "machined" referred to the manufacturing process, not the finish.

I would go for the satin finish myself, same basic effect and wouldn't have to clean 'em so often, but that's just me.

I like those wheels and sixteens are as high as I would go too, they'll look bitchin' on a Mach.

They should be able to say lug or hub-centric for you, either is good and most all tire stores have the correct adapter attachment on a shelf somewhere and don't even know it at the front desk. Ask for a Manager.

Quick search not seeing how balanced they're reported to be out of the box.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
From what I'm reading on Summit's website, it is the silver that is either a matte of gloss finish. The black is the same.

I just picked 2 descriptions;

Wheel, Magnum 500, 15 in. x 7.00 in., Aluminum, Gloss Silver, 5 x 4 1/2 in. Bolt Circle, 4.250 in. Backspace

Wheel, Magnum 500, 15 in. x 7.00 in., Aluminum, Matte Silver, 5 x 4 1/2 in. Bolt Circle, 4.250 in. Backspace

I would guess that they are either powder coated or clear coated matte or gloss and then the template is put on and the matte black is laid down.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Stretching the memory here from when I worked there but the satin vs. gloss is specific to the black painted portion. The "machined" finish means that the silver areas have that very fine grove type finish that is left from something machined on a lathe. Last, unlike the steel wheels, we NEVER had balancing issues with the alloy wheels in the legendary line. It's been almost 2 years since I worked there so my memory could be faded and things could change but the legendary wheels were actually VERY nice while I worked there... "Hopefully" memory is correct on the other details.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I got the 15x7 Matte like macstang mentioned. They are a flat aluminum, not a polish like chrome look. I will have to see what the centers look like and check the invoice to be sure exactly what the model number is, but I am away from home for a few days. You can probably find more pictures in my build thread, but here is one I dug up from a while ago. The centers also look flat black, not gloss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts