Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put new seam sealer in my trunk, primer it, and paint it. After that I'll be ready to drop in my new gas tank.

My questions are:

1) was the top of the tank (visible through the open trunklid) painted the color of the car?
2) was the bottom of the tank undercoated?
3) in the gas tank installation kit I got there are the sheetmetal type screws that go all around and one machined screw and it's stamped "U" - does this go in the center nearest the front?
4) does the tank have to be grounded in any special way? I want to make sure my new sending unit works!!
5) has anyone here had a problem with the reproduction sending units on the market?

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron

·
Registered
353 Posts
1. The top of the tank was not painted.
2. The bottom of the tank was only undercoated if the rest of
bottom of the car was undercoated. (A Dealer item)
3. The bolt will go in a hole on the back, left side of the tank.
4. The sheet metal screws will ground the tank to the body.
5. Sorry I've had no experience with repro sending units.

Remember to use seam sealer/caulking under the edges of the tank, where it sets in the trunk..

Good Luck.
Mark Mosteller
Garden Grove, CA

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." Albert Einstein

65 Fastback GT. 65 Convertible. 84GT, 90 5.0 LX Convertible. MCA. Southern, CA

·
Registered
827 Posts
I bought a repro sending unit for my 66 F/B a few years ago. It did not register like the original. It made my guage show full for a long time and then once it registered below full it went down very quickly. it was like it needed some sort of adjustment to the calibration or something. The repro did not seem to register consistent with the gas usage. When it reached empty you could continue to drive it for a lot longer than you could using the original sending unit. The original was much more consistent and steady in the way it displayed the gas consumption until it stopped working all together. Just one day it quit registering at all not sure what the problem was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts