Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bought a 16" mishimoto fan slim profile. I have a racket set that will undo the stock fan. and I'm going to use the little plastic things that go through the radiator fins to tie secure it. My only questions are what do I hook the electric fan up to? And do I need to take off any belts like ones that are attached to the old fan for instance? I couldn't tell by looking at it because it looks like if I did it would mess up my power steering.

If someone can post a picture of what to splice my electric fan into ill be really happy.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is it a pusher fan or a puller fan? Do you have enough Alternator to run it?

What are you using to trigger the fan? You'll need a relay and to build/buy a harness to hook it up.

Reactions: cheapbastard

·
Registered
171 Posts
And just to be clear, the normal way to trigger an electric fan w/o EFI installed is with some kind of temperature sensor installed where it can measure coolant temperature. If the fan didn't come with one, you'll have to get one, in addition to the relay mentioned.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Most people use a temp sensor and fan controller to switch the fan on. The fan controller would be a relay or relays, switch, wiring etc. From what I've read all of the ones on the market are chinese of abysmal quality.

On one of my other cars I have always used a temp switch (looks just like a temp sensor) and a bosch type relay. There is a switch with part# 1S4391 you can find on rock auto.

A book on automotive electrical systems could explain the system better than I can. It would also have a chart for wiring gages. This link Improved Power Circuit! shows a great setup for the main power to the relays. Before long you will be adding relays for the headlights, AC and other stuff you might add.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For the existing fan, remove just the fan and bolt the pulley back on probably with shorter bolts.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Swapping from a mechanical to an electric fan is much more than just doing the swap and wiring it up.

Im guessing that the 16" fan is not going to cool enough and Im also guessing you do not have enough alternator to run it.

You will need a controller if the fan didnt come with one, a relay, fuse, wire and a shroud of some kind, depending on the fan.

Its best that you do a bunch of research before you take anything apart.

Why do you want an electric fan? What engine do you have? What size radiator? Any cooling problems?

Pics of your current setup would be helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts