Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I think im going to paint the interior myself...looking for some general advice/pointers to send me in the right direction. Can I use the same paint on the fiberglass panels as on the doors and dashpad? Do I want to strip the paint off of the fiberglass and doors? If so, what should I use? Will paint thinner hurt the fiberglass? Is it all worth painting yourself, or should I find a place to professionally do it?

Thanks,

Dustin

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Use regular paint stripper on the metal. Not sure about the fiberglass. Use lacqure paint...it's thinner and will not tend to fill in the grain in the metal. Make sure you clean the metal to remove all traces of wax, oil, silicon, etc before painting. If you prime, go very light..

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
You can find paint stripper made specifically use on fiberglass. It's a bit weaker than regular stripper and may take longer to work, but odds are you won't melt any interior panels. Try scrubbing around with a stiff-bristled nylon brush too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only problem I have had with interior painting is getting the silicon off. I finally found some cleaner that was listed as removing silicon that, it is some tough stuff to get rid of and will cause problems if it is around. You will want to use dye on the dash and other vinyl parts.

G

·
0 Posts
All I could add to the above posts is to mask everything you don't want painted VERY carefully. Overspray can get into the smallest openings. I just finished painting the interior on my 68 convertible. I thought I had done a good job masking but still had a little overspray to deal with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts