Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing all the hard and flexible brake lines on the '66 along with a SSBC front disc conversion. The brakes have not been used since '86. While I am at it, should I replace the rear drum components also? The shoes still have plenty of material left so no need to do them, but what about the brake cylinders, retracting springs, adjusting levers, etc? Any advise would be appreciated.

Also, while reading about the brakes in the Mustang shop manual, there was a reference to the rear drums being held in place to the axles by 3 tinnerman nuts. When I removed my rear wheels from the car, the rear drums came right off after them. I did not have any other nuts holding the drums on separately below the wheels. Is this normal or am I missing these tinnerman nuts? What does a tinnerman nut look like?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would go ahead and replace or rework the rear wheel cylinders. If its been that long, and they aren't that expensive, and you're gonna have to rebleed everything anyway.

What are they now? <$20 or something.

If the brake shoes are bad, then replace them while they're off.

I'm more of a preventative guy I guess. I replace certain things whenever I get a used car, just to beat "murphy's law" to the punch.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I would go ahead and replace the wheel cylinder and spring kit too. If the pads look cracked do them also.
Brakes are one thing you shouldn't go cheap on. There's usually no danger if you can't start a car but if you can't stop one it could be very dangerous.
It's worth the extra $50 or so for piece of mind and safety.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
T nuts are not needed. i just replaced everything under my car and at first lefr rear wheel cyls as they were. buggers leaked and had to do it over. suggest you replace everything since kits are cheap and include all little hardware such as springs and clips. drums on mine looked good an d i did not replace them - you could have them checked at a shop that turns them.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I tend to be one that goes ahead and freshens up everything while I'm at it. But if the brake cylinders are still working, and everything looks ok, you might just wait until the next overhaul is due to replace the rears.

As for the tinnerman nuts, they are used to hold the drum on while it goes down the assembly line. They hit the trash can the first time a brake job is done.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Seems like the concensus is to go ahead and replace everything now since we are really not talking about a lot of $$.

Glad those tinnerman nuts aren't needed!!
:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts