Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't bought it yet but I'm thinking

For the Front: Rockford Fosgate 4" Component System $139.99
-I'm thinking to buy some kick panels with out the speakers in them and mount these... Will these fit or do I need to go larger?

For the Rear: Rockford Fosgate 6"x9" 2-way Speakers $119.99

I don't know what type of wolfers to gets or how many I need (I assume one)

Also what type of crossover and amp should I get and how much should those cost?
And are those necessary if I don't get wolfers? (I enjoy rock, reggee, rap, grunge)

I'm also planing to get a cd player that plays cds that have mp3's burned on them.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
I will attempt to answer the questions but i am not the most knowledgeable person in that field.

I have noticed you named many of the genres of music that NEED a lot of bass help. I have heard 2 8" or 2 10" subwoofers and they sound GREAT. It may be a bit of an overkill, but if you are serious into music, then get them.
Many places sell an Amp and 2 10in subwoofer combination for about $300 Shop around and try to find a deal.

The kick panel speakers from Mustangs Plus are 6.5in. So I would imagine that the 4in ones are too small.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
OK, you are talking to an audiophile here....

I would skip the 4 inch plates and go with the kick panels with the provision with 6.5 inch speakers ONLY because your front stage determines the quality of sound of the entire system, believe it or not...

This front stage theory is true, front stage imaging is so crucial to good sound and helps one use a smaller amount of power (smaller amps)

Coaxials are cheaper but don;t offer the detailed sound imaging that front separate component speakers offer. (the separates are more expensive but are worth every penny In my opinion)

6x9's help with rear fill and add some bass kick....

to push all four corners I would suggest getting a class D 4 channel amplifier from Pioneer, Kicker, Rockford fosgate, Kenwood etc...so long as it has a high pass electronic crossover and low distortion.

I would sugest no less than 50 continuous (aka nominal) watts per channel....75 is optimal.

Now onto a sub....a single 10 inch sub would work wonderfully...Billgear and I have similair setups...a sub box taking up one of the spaces between the trunk floor and the quarter panel.cavity.

to push the 10 inch sub, I would use a bridgable class D amplifier with a built in low pass crossover...(make sure the high pass and low pass
overlap to cover all frequencies. Power rating should be about 100-120watts continuous, with peak power around 200-250 watts...

the CD player idea is good.

Make sure to get a cd player deck that puts out preamp levels of 2volts or more....this makes for cleaner sound and less distortion.

this should be a [email protected] sound system....4 chnl amps run about $180-275 (depending on your tastes) Ehay is a good option...

a bridgeable 2 channel sub amp should run about $225-250 also depending on your flavor.

DO spend money on interconnects (RCA signal cables this helps avoid alt whine)

let me know if you have any other questions

here is a good contact for stereo equipment...

email Ravi

[email protected]

have delt with him, good pricing and follows through on transactions.

cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd definitely agree with everything CA says...

IMHO Rockford's are very very nice speakers as long as you have a good amp to go along with it. I had rockfords hookup in my last car to a nakamichi headunit and i am telling you it sounded so clean. Treble is usually where you can tell if a speaker sucks or not. If your ears hurt when you turn the speakers up, Its probably due to the treble. The rockfords are really steady choices... What i would do if i wear you is the kickpanel bezel and 6 1/2's in front and see if you can squeeze in somewhere the tweeter component. trust me its worth it. I am still trying to decide what i am going to do with my systme as well. But i think you have the right idea.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I also agree with CAponyboy, I would like to add, I've found some great deals online on hifonics brand amps, very good quality. I choose a 2x75 for the front 2 speakers and a brigeable 500watt for the rear sub. I went with the 6.5 coax in the front, seperates would have been better. Pic during the install of the amps http://www.289mustang.com/images/amps.jpg

·
Registered
446 Posts
I not only agree with CA, but bow down to him as some sort of sound system god. And those were his 10 commandments.

I will be takeing some of this info into a sound system myself.

IN fact i should not have even answered before him lol.

Thanks for the added info into my personal library.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts