Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I really like your car. I have a few things I would like to ask you if you don't mind. I have a 67 and I know they are different but I was wondering what size are your tires and rims? I have redone my entire suspension and lowered my car abour 3 in in front and 2 1/2 in the rear. I also but in a negative wedge kit in the front. My problem is it seems the front right tire just barely touches the upper control arm. So I am going to replace my rims and tires from the Magnum 500 15 x 7 that I have now to Weld Pro Star 15 x 5 in the front and maybe 15 x 8 in the rear with a 3 1/2 in. back spacing instead of the 4 1/2 that my curent ones are. Anyway if you wouldn't mind can you give me some info on what you have done with your suspension and like I said before the tire sizes and rim sizes. Thank you for your time.

Stang6767
Bryan

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My rims are Weld Draglite 15 x 5 front and 15 x 8 rear. The rear backspacing is 4 1/2 inches. My tires are Mickey Thompson ET Fronts and ET Drags(not street legal). The front tires are 26 x 5 1/2 tread width and the back tires are 27 x 9 wide slicks. The rear tire section width comes out to over 10 inches with the slicks. Keep in mind this is set up for the drag strip.

I have 1 inch lowered upper control arms with about 1 1/2 inch lower coil springs. I don't think it would be safe to go any lower. As it is I have a little scratch on my oil pan and a couple of dents in my floor supports. I think lowering my rear end a bit will help that because some of it is the front pitch effect.

I just bought some new mid eye 4 1/2 leafs for the back but I haven't installed them yet. The rear suspension has Southside lift bars with some drag strip adjustable shackles for about a half inch give and take if I need it. I have them on the closest to the frame rail setting which would be the lowest. I have a bit too much heighth from the top of my rear tires to the fender line right now because of the Southside bars. However, if I lower the rear too much more it looks like my tires will rub on the outsides on the fender lips. I haven't rolled them up yet but that will have to be done when I put the mid eyes on. I have an inch and a half clearance on the insides from the sidewalls to the edge of the leafs. A half inch less spacing to the inside on my back rims looks like it would have been better but I don't think the Draglites came in a 4 inch backspacing for an 8 inch rim.

Its not worth it to me to have my 8 inch rear axle narrowed 1/2 inch. If I ever shell that thing out on the drag strip I will fix it when I get a 9 to replace it.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey, just make sure I'm not in the lanes behind you when you lunch that 8"....I hate skatin' through gear oil....hehehe

Now, next to me is fine....final round would be an added bonus...*G*

You've got plenty of room from the tires to the leafs...I run less than an inch with no problems and I have moderate growth rate tires....usually the only time they get close is when I make the return road turn too fast...

Welds sure are good wheels...I have the old ones produced back in the early 80's before Greg and Cragar started their feud...

BTW, you've got the right idea keeping your rims within one inch of your tire tread in width....I ran 13x30W's on some old 10" Centerlines when I first got my car (see the old pic on my race car page) and it sometimes got interesting in the top end. Going to the 12" Welds calmed things down a bunch and it's now just like driving on the freeway......traction is more consistent too...

Keep us posted as you sort out the suspension...that'll be the biggest factor in getting you solidly in the 12's, especially the low 12's....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts