Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is simply out of curiosity...

Occasionally we'll read of someone wanting to put a big block in an early car. One suggestion I've read is to "Swap in '67 shock towers." So I have a few questions for those who have done this or otherwise know:

1. Do they physically fit the same at the apron and frame rail?
2. The later UCAs would have to be used... Are there control arm length issues that need to be resolved? (My guess is "Not", as I note from one supplier's catalogue that '67s use the same LCA as the '65/66... so if those are the same length, presumably the UCAs are the same length; notwithstanding the other design differences.)
3. Clearance issues aside, are there other functional reasons that might make this a preferred "upgrade" for someone needing to replace their shock towers.

Just some questions I've been curious about. Thanks

- Gord

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
http://www.obsidianspider.com/vmf/graemlins/popcorn.gif

With as messed up as my front end is I won't rule anything out, but how much room do you really gain from using them? Enough to fit a 351W twin turbo setup maybe???? ::

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but how much room do you really gain from using them?
Well, enough to fit an FE Big Block.... 'cause the engine compartments are otherwise identical: ie., same export brace and monte bar. The differences between '65/66 cars and the later cars is width between the lower portions of the shock towers. I know you were asking somewhat facetiously, but I figured I'd respond in hopes someone else might get involved in this thread. (Where's pttt when you need it ;)?!)

- Gord

1 - 3 of 3 Posts