Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please check out Ehay item 1846615121, auction ends in 2 hours. This 302 is in my home town, and $300 seems like a screaming good deal. I E-mailed the seller to see what components if any beyond the longblock are included. Even if it is just a stripped longblock, seems like a good deal. Wadayathink??

By the way, my plan would be to put those rebuilt heads on the 302 in my 66, get some aluminum heads for this engine and stuff it into Project Warm Spit.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If he's got receipts to back up his claims, it sounds like a fantastic deal.

He sounds like he's on the "up and up" by giving the reason for selling it, but I've seen too many trashed "rebuilt engines" in my day to believe anyone that can't produce a receipt /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Right down the street from you!! See if he'll let you take a look at it. He has no bids, let the auction expire and go work him down!! Maybe he'll take another 50 off if he wants to get rid of it!!

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Well if you let it go no bid you might get it for a lower price but I doubt it. The reason he has no bids is he will not ship it.
If you wait he may put it up for sale locally for more money.
Its a crap shoot.
I say buy it.
The last item I bought off that was pick up only turned out real well. Bought an NOS 64.5 hood for 150.00 and a new Ford crate engine 260(had it storage for 35yrs) w/ a rebuildable core for 450.00 from the same guy

·
Registered
391 Posts
He looks surprizing legit. He also has a snowboard and stock valves up for bid on that site also, and the prices look OK.

·
Registered
463 Posts
FWIW, the 84 302 wasn't the greatest motor in the world. If I remember correctly, it's not a roller motor, which would be preferable if you're going for a newer 5.0... Granted, it's nice having it in your hometown and pretty cheap, but I wouldn't say that it's an outstanding deal. If it was an 87-93 for 300 bucks, I'd buy it before you could /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-M

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I'll wait till the closing seconds to snipe that sucker! I really don't want to wait till the auction ends then undercut him. $300 seems like a good deal, he's in my home town, and I don't want to set a bad flavor.

Now, if any of you VMFers snipe this motor out from under me, I'll turn you in to the VMF police for SEVERE corrective action!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the 84 302 at least as good as earlier 302's? Any particular weaknesses in this particular year? I'm switching to aluminum heads anyway, couldn't I do the roller thing on this block? Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why don't you call the guy; he said he was not going to use the engine because he would put on aluminum heads.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
looks like you did...good luck.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Instead of warmspit you can now call it snipespit.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts