Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 66, do I have to remove the large shock tower covers to remove the coil springs..or just the caps? Never done it on this car. I have done this on another type of car. I actually had one of the cheapo spring compressors to break when I pulled the springs off of my son's '56 cheby pickup. Scared the teetotal you know what out of me. Fortunately, it was contained at the time and did no damage...I did dream about it afterwards...nightmare scenario.

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
If you remove the upper control arm, you can probably get the spring out without taking off the covers. I've never tried removing a spring with the cover on, but give it a whirl! The worst that can happen is you remove 6 bolts and remove the cover.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I've never taken the cover off to remove the springs and have swapped springs a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I just did it Saturday and believe me, it's much easier with the covers removed. I tried it both ways.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang, wish I hadn't put about 3 layers of paint over the bolts/nuts... :loco: I remember one of your pet peeves is people paint over bolts etc...lol :skullnbones:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts